Your favorite canned tomato salsa?? Share yours!!

Delhi, IA

Here's mine:
10 lbs tomatoes, peeled, cut in wedges, seeded and drained of liquid
6 cloves garlic
5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped very fine
2 med. onions, diced fine
2 large green peppers, diced fine (opt)
2 T. salt
1 T. sugar (opt)
1-2 t. black pepper
2 lg. cans tomato paste
1/2 cup white vinegar

As you prepare tomatoes, put them in colanders so excess liquids can drain away. With your hands stir them up so all excess liquid has a chance to seep away. (Want chunky salsa__leave tomatoes in wedge size pieces. I generally cut a tomato the size of an average apple or orange in eight's and then after removing seeds cut each piece in half. This is up to you.) Let drain as you prepare the onions, peppers and garlic. (After carefully removing tomato seeds I discovered no fresh garlic in the house with the last batch made so I used 4 T. minced, dried garlic. The end product looked like it still had 'tomato seeds' after canning. It was my minced garlic!!)

Combine green peppers if you use them, onions and jalapenos with 1T. water, cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Leave lid on another 3 minutes to thoroughly steam.

Put all but tomato paste and vinegar in cooking pot and bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. As it cooks up use a metal measuring cup (1/4 or 1/2) and press into top and remove liquid that has cooked out til you have about the right consistency. I usually remove an additional half to one cup of 'liquid' this way) Then add tomato paste and vinegar. Simmer 5 minutes. Fill sterilized pint jars to 1/4" from top. Process in boiling water according to Ball canning directions.

Want some top notch maid rites!! Add a pint of this to 2 pounds of hamburger!! Or a cup to a pound!

Forgot about 7 pint!!

This message was edited Aug 28, 2010 2:26 PM

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!