Morning Glories 2010 #18

Gautier, MS

Aomurasaki youjiro blizzard bloom.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful blooms everyone loving the show.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Debra, yes that's Count Drac, one of my very favorites. I'll be sending you some of these sds along with others
Mj very funny about our Dodge trucks. This one is DH's. He only
let me drive it once. lol. I swear he talks to it. Your Floating Cloud is beautiful. Do you know the
parentage?
Gorgeous blooms Helena. The Pink-Mauve rayed one looks something like my Mauve Splash that was blooming on the front porch.
The 1st Prez Bush blooms I ever saw were A's and it looked a lot like yours Helena. Mine started out like yours last yr but the pattern quickly changed
I'm in love with your Murasaki Youjiro Blizzard blooms.
My Pres Bush blooms from last yr, sorry to everyone who's tired of
this picture

Thumbnail by patootie
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

SOH from Park still blooming at the tip but the old leaves died off from the rust.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

We got plenty of seed ready to pick, but the rust on the leaves was so bad here in FL, I may not bother growing it again. Anybody up North can have a bunch of this seed if you want it. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

I had a lot of rust this year but as the old leaves died off
the new ones aren't showing any rust as of yet.
what the rust didn't get the bugs did I hope next year is better for my plants.
I have a few that i just brought in the house today and so far so good for them.

Thumbnail by rh3708
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh dear, John I am so sorry about the rust problem. You too, Robbie. I guess my problem here is the bug that eats the holes in the leaves. havn't had rust here ... YET.. I planted 5 SOHS from 5 sources.. still waiting on one from Helena to show, but so far the other 4 are not solid throat. That Pres Bush is always a treat to see, Jackie. And, Helena as usual you are blowing my socks off with your gorgeous blooms. My Aomurasaki youjiro blizzard bloom is small and insignificant atm. I think it needs more light. Yours is down right beautiful. your plum surprise looks familiar, I think I planted one and saw a bloom from it. I hope it shows , cuz your bloom is really pretty.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

patootie,
the floating cloud...only know what the package said "Ukigumo" Floating cloud, from Japan, sent to me in a seed trade I did outside of DG. It looks pretty much like the picture on the package.
This one is Kikyo purchased from DG marketplace.
The wind has been wreaking havoc on the plants...knocking pots over and drying things out.
Apopkajohn, I haven't had the rust problem too much this year (except on Zinnias)...but other than rain, I don't get water on the leaves of the plants. I don't use a sprinkler to water very much except the bigger beds that are in the shade. That seems to have really helped a lot with that.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cocoa Chocolate this morning. They seems to curl back a little.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Thanks MJ, your Floating Cloud is a beauty.
Nice bloom Nicole

This may be Split Personality

Thumbnail by patootie

I love Becky's Mauve Splash. This one's growing in the back yard

Thumbnail by patootie

Mauve Splash front porch.

Thumbnail by patootie

Another Mauve Splash on the front porch.

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms everyone! Love your Mauve splash Jackie. I hope mine get to bloom since I started them real late!

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Karen's Speckled tri-lobed. Out of focus somewhat
Love that pretty blue Helena, lovely pattern too.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - Pretty purple blooms!

Jackie - Love those Mauve Splash blooms! And Dracula is always a favorite!

MJ - Beautiful blooms!

Robbie and John - I have been thinking long and hard about the rust issue since it is a problem with the I. nils. I think what I am going to do is to grow I. nils in Spring/Early Summer when there is less humidity. Grow tricolors and purpureas in Late Summer/Fall. I have noticed that the purpureas and tricolors aren't bothered by rust. So rather than become frustrated with the seasonal rust, I am going to change what I grow at different times of the year. And then I will grow a few I. nils indoors during the winter. I might be able to get two I. nil grow-outs indoors during the winter months. I actually got seeds from my I. nils that were grown indoors because the pollen was drier and fluffy instead of clumping together like it does outside in the dampness. And I didn't have so many issues with sterile blooms either ... so there is definitely something with the high humidity causing issues with my I. nil vines. So best to chose what to grow and when to grow it.

I also have a corkscrew vine which is a Fall bloomer. And my Yellow Chinese Evening Glory is a winter/early Spring bloomer! LOL! So lots of vines that bloom at different times of the year. I have many, many other vines as well. So I think I will just take my cue from Mother Nature and the nature of certain plants/vines.

This is the coolest thing:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/family-grows-garden-backyard-swimming-pool/story?id=11533755

The Mauve Splash is just gorgeous and a winner in my books. Sure am glad I was able to grow it. I love that blue Floating Cloud, too.
And Helena, that blue and white stripe is so pretty.
Rust isn't an issue here, but mites are. Ugh.
Okay, the Plum Surprise is the one I thought was Kikyo Ice from Becky. Anyways it looks like it. Gorgeous as usual, all of them.

Thanks Helena and Becky. Debra, did you see all 3 of my Mauve Splashes are different? Which one did your M Splash vine look like?

Jackie I would say most like this one... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8076797

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 4:20 AM

Gautier, MS

Jackie, I'd have to agree with Debra. Are all youe Mauve Splash blooms from the same vine or do you have more than one vine? I like that neat third bloom from your Mauve Splash!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Here is Fuji no Monet 2nd grow out.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Great blooms everyone love them all.

Becky good idea i think I'll give that a try as well.

LiliMerci that is cool love what they did to solve their problem.

Thumbnail by rh3708

Helena, I have 2 vines, the one in the backyard that just started blooming a
week or so ago, #1 blooms. The front porch vine made blooms #2 and #3. Most of the blooms were like # 3.
Lovely no Monet Helena, pretty purpurea Robbie.
Thanks Becky, sounds like a great idea to change your planting times
to avoid the rust on the rust prone
Fuji no Monet wearing an almost see thru color yesterday and today.

Thumbnail by patootie

Nicole - Neat article! Who'd have ever thought of doing that with a swimming pool! I would have had the perfect set-up in my old house. We had a large lap pool with an 8-seater jacuzzi on one end. I also hated the pool because I had two very young children that I feared would fall in and drown. We moved not long after my youngest turned 2, so that was a relief. But if I had seen that article, we might have stayed in the house and converted that pool. Though ... probably not practical in Florida because if it rains a lot (from tropical storms), the pool might pop up out of the ground. You have to keep some water in the pools here because of that.

Robbie - Nice I. purpurea.

Jackie - Your last photo of Fuji no Monet looks like it's namesake! Beautiful watercolor characteristics on those petals!

Good Idea on that pool into a garden and fishery. I wonder what they feed the chickens, and the Ohio farm raised woman is brilliant to do this.
Those Fugi No Monets are awesome. I have yet to grow one. My Muave splash usually has one bloom each day that has a ruffle around the edges. That is the bloom style I like the most. does anyone have a picture of Fugi No Monet Not?

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Horrayyyyy my mg that i recieved from becky that has been growing all year long finally send out a bloom!!!!

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
Gautier, MS

Beaitiful pictures everyone. Jackie your Fuji no Monet looks a lot like the Monet no Fuji from "Taste". Pic below for Debra.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Nice blooms everyone

It's a beautiful day here in Atlanta. I don't have any new photos, but my Rebecca and Cocoa Chocolate are blooming their head off. I've been collecting seeds too. Lots of seeds from my MG that looks like Roman Candy. However, the last 2 blooms have been solid pink. Doesn't have the white tips on the corner edge.

Question about cross pollination, which I don't know anything about. Can I cross an i pur to an i nil? I have this noid i nil that has large white flower with a speck of purple on it. It produces 6 large seeds in a pod. I think it is done blooming but if it has any more bloom, I was thinking of cross pollinating an Aomurasakizyouhantenshibori to this no id. I'm hoping this would create a larger Aomurasakizyouhantenshibori.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

I love everyone's blooms,... this one is producing a bunch of seeds for me.

Thumbnail by rh3708

And the I.Purpurea's are doing great.

Thumbnail by rh3708

Just love the blooms i got this morning

Thumbnail by rh3708

this is the last one i will post for this morning

Thumbnail by rh3708

Helena - The Fuji no Monet from Taste is very unusual! :-)

Robbie - Lovely blooms! Nice deep color on that hige dark pinkish-purple! I wonder if you would mind sharing a larger photo of your white picket fencing! I want to see how your garden bed is set up! I am always looking for new ideas!!! :-)

Nicole - You can try crossing an I. nil with an I. purpurea, but the likelihood of a cross between those species is highly unlikely ... unfortunately. I've tried with no success. But the youjiro I. nils are a cross of an African I. nil and an I. purpurea, so you never know ... But you will likely get a self-pollination of the white. Which may produce a completely white bloom (no speckles) or vines like the current one.

Here is a link of more details of interspecific crosses/hybrids:
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/species/hybrids.html

John - What a beauty!!! Glad to see you are finally getting some blooms! Yeah!

This message was edited Sep 4, 2010 11:17 AM

It just a piece of an old trellis that came apart and i recycled a small piece of it

Thumbnail by rh3708

Robbie - That is a cool idea using a piece of trellis!

I was actually referring to the white fence in this photo: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8079914

I would like to see more of that fence, if you don't mind. I also have a similar fence around my backyard patio. I like how yours looks and it might give me some more ideas on where to place fencing. :-)

Helena, My Fuji no Monet in the back yard is identical to your blooms.
a lovely dark purple, I love it too. The vine on the front porch is making the
see thru blooms .Didn't realize Taste's sds make the same see thru bloom.
Both my vines came out of sds from Karen,Gardener2005.
Debra, a gorgeous pale blue bloom, love it.
James, how did you do with the Xiong;s Chinese sds I shared with you?
Nice bloom Nicole
Robbie, I love your Rosy Pink bloom with the wide white border, so pretty.
Thanks Becky.
One of my Fancy Purps from Colin turned out to be this cute little feathered
Well my pic could have been a little better. lol

This message was edited Sep 4, 2010 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by patootie

This Milky Way type has taken over the fence.
To tell the truth, even though I fuss about this one, I kinda like it. lol

Thumbnail by patootie

That's the porch railing Becky

Love the blooms Jackie

Thumbnail by rh3708

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.