Has any one in zone 6 successfully overwintered pansies?

Jamaica Plain, MA

I have pansies that have continued to bloom all though this spring and summer. They got a bit leggy but they are a beautiful shade of blue and I would love to keep them over the winter and use them again next spring.
Am I wrong, it is my understanding that pansy seeds do not stay true to the parent?

I have kept impatiences by bringing them into the house and giving them minimum water and light. I had mostly good luck with the impatients so that is partly what tempts me to think I could do the same with my pansies. Thanks

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if you could take cuttings. I've never overwintered pansies, but since no one else had responded I thought I'd throw out a suggestion. I do keep petunias, geranium, coleus, diamond frost euyonomus, fuscia and dragon wing begonia over the winter by taking cuttings of the mother plant. There's an excellent thread about coleus cuttings here on Dave's Garden, I'll try to find it and post a link. I've had great success with it. I would try keeping the mother plant, and take a few cuttings to try at the same time. If they work, you'll have a fresher, less leggy plant in the spring.
Pansies are also pretty hardy, you might be able to keep it outside with a lot of winter mulch over it.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Here's that link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/596774/

Stewart, TN

I accidentally over-wintered some impatiens last winter (here in zone 6)! Around Christmas I set out some ornamental kale and I packed about 3-4 inches of straw around it just to cover up all the frozen annuals and bare ground in the raised bed.

To my absolute amazement, the impatiens that I had set out last year came back from their roots when I removed the straw. They have now outgrown the vincas that I put out in the same bed. I had no idea that straw was such a good insulation - we had a pretty hard winter here last year - or that impatiens was so tough!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.