Morning Glory (wild)

McMinnville, TN

Once again I have taken a picture of purple blooms that look blue to me, they are also growing on my daddy's fence. I took the picture this morning when I took the others.

Thumbnail by BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

Can anyone give me any info on the above picture? They grow everywhere at my daddy's house.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

It looks to me like it could be 'Grandpa Ott's' or possibly 'Star of Yelta'. I'd bet there are others who frequent this forum who'd know better than I.

edit: I just noticed the "(wild)" in the thread's title. I guess, without knowing the parentage of the vines, it would make the plant Ipomoea purpurea... and a very pretty one at that!

This message was edited Jan 8, 2011 5:04 PM

(Zone 7a)

Boopsie & Nifty - I agree that Boopsie's vine most likely belongs to Ipomoea purpurea. But, for future reference, a sideways photo of an unknown MG flower that shows the sepals will yield the best answer, since it is the sepals of morning glory flowers that give the most dependable ID - more than any other plant part (although they can help).

I have rewritten the IDENTIFICATION section in the sticky index at the head of this forum for sepals, as well as added the link to a post distinguishing between the I. purpurea cultivars, Grandpa Otts, Star of Yelta and Kniola's Black.

Hope this helps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.