Tower Square New Iris Garden

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Thus is what I had been working on with my new Iris orders. This is my 7 foot square raised garden I call Tower Square. The mid part smaller square I made into the perennial garden to give season long color with the yellow columbines, orange milkweek and rose colored hummingbird mint. Then on the 'tower ' I have a clematis growing.

Then the rest is my iris bed. It is laid out so there are 20 iris along the outside section and more sightly indented for the second row. Makes for 32 iris. I have it partly planted and will be finished with the last order of the year, my Rockytop order of 15 iris still to go there.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Another picture

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love it Rita! It's going to be super pretty with all those Iris in bloom!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

How creative. Can't wait to see it next year.

Newfield, NY

oh i like your new iris bed

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have an area by my greenhouse next to the fence corner I should do something on this line with as need the extra room. HMMMM

I needed the room too to make the iris bed so I plopped it right in the middle of the lawn LOL! Thats why it's a raised bed. I needed it to be already very defined before I ever planted anything just because it is in the middle of the lawn. PLus it is 7 foot square because that is what I had room for in there. And I only have very little lawn left which is actuallyonly on this side of the house.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Good thinking Rita. I have a lot of lawn in the front yard but it gets so much wind and there is a ton of ruck undeneath so I have never done to much with it as far as beds. The back yard is almost full so now I am going to the north where the greenhouse site. Will get some photos later as it must sound pretty confusing. It is much easier to understand like you do with the photo's. It is raining here now and I am kinda lazy this AM so will post later.

LOL I MEANT ROCK UNDERNEATH

This message was edited Aug 29, 2010 8:37 AM

Yes, do do pictures of your garden layout. I would love to see. I know you have lots of daylilies and iris. And I know you want to put in a new bed along a fence somewwhere for spring.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

All that rock sounds like the perfect excuse for a raised bed;o)

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Oh i is believe me. So much of it granite that you would have to use dynamite. Many have done so while building here in town. I never thought till now but if I could dig the whole front yard maybe it is really beautiful and I could sell my yard for someone's new countertops LOL.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL - that would give you beaucoup bucks for new plants!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

HMMMM, I may have to rethink things LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.