Clematis size

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I purchased a Clematis Paniculata . On the tag it gave 2 feet tall and two feet wide for the size of the plant.. Is the tag wrong? I emailed the nursery but they haven't replied yet.
I want to plant a clematis to climb on my mail box, will the salt from the plows kill it?

Thanks

Gary

new to clematis

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It should have a name in addition to simply "paniculata". Can you photograph the plant tag for us so we can help you with it?

Salt is not a good thing for the clematis (or any other plant). How close to the road would the clematis be planted?

Gary - is this the one you bought?

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/26630-product.html

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Pirl
In my un educated opinion that is the one in the photo at White Flower farm. It is the same name for sure. Its my guess that the label is miss printed. The label is writen in #8 font so it did not show up in a photo.
The mail box is about 5 feet from the highway. The weeds grow real good around the post so the salt dont seem to bother them.

Do you belong to the American Clematis Society?

Gary

I do not belong to the American Clematis Society.

If the clematis is Sweet Autumn Clematis it can easily top 30' so it will more than cover your mail box. You can protect the earth around the clematis with large pieces of bark before the snow flies or the salt flies, in your case.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.