Pardancanda

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Just for fun, I grew three pardancanda plants from seed that I got from Thompson and Morgan this year. I didn't know they would bloom first year from seed, but here they are.

This was the first to bloom.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

This one started blooming today. I like the form of this one alot better than the first one.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Pittsburgh, PA

They are iris relatives aren't they? They are beautiful!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very very pretty! I've never heard of them before;o)

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Aren't these the ones they call Blackberry Lilies and I understand that they are related to Iris or should I say they are in the Iris Family.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I was doing a search on them the other day, and the Blackberry Lily used to be Belamcanda chinensis. Now they are Iris domestica. Pardanthopsis (Vesper iris) used to be Pardanthopsis dichotoma. Now they are called Iris dichotoma.

What I have above is a hybrid between the two and used to be called Pardancanda xnorrissi or Candy Lily. Now, with the name change, I'm not sure what to call them! LOL!

Does anyone have seeds from the Vesper Iris (Iris dichotoma) they could swap?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I was going to get some of these years ago but never did. Now no room but they are such pretty things. Interesting crosses of the two.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I started three of these this year, and this is the last one to bloom. It started today. I like the spots on this one. I may start a bunch of these next year just to see what I get!

This message was edited Aug 27, 2010 1:29 PM

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is a neat one. It would be fun to see what happens with them.

Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

Quote from IndaShade :
Yeah, I was doing a search on them the other day, and the Blackberry Lily used to be Belamcanda chinensis. Now they are Iris domestica. Pardanthopsis (Vesper iris) used to be Pardanthopsis dichotoma. Now they are called Iris dichotoma.

What I have above is a hybrid between the two and used to be called Pardancanda xnorrissi or Candy Lily. Now, with the name change, I'm not sure what to call them! LOL!

Does anyone have seeds from the Vesper Iris (Iris dichotoma) they could swap?

I have some seedpods on my I. dichotoma, If they ripe I can send you some seeds :) It is close to first frost here and I am not sure it will mature. But I can cover the plants and see if it helps. One of my plants is pure white, a nice surprise. I got the seeds from SIGNA this winter and they bloomed first season, quite early in the season, and it is still blooming.

Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

Here is a blue dichotoma.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2010 1:21 AM

Thumbnail by lineyri
Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

And the white.

Thumbnail by lineyri
Oslo, Norway(Zone 5a)

And a purple one.

I am growing I. domestica and they are hardy here. Not sure about norrisii and dichotoma, but I will try this year. I still has some norrisii seeds left if anyone is interested.

Thumbnail by lineyri
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

lineyri - those are absolutely stunning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.