Help With Three Iris ID Please

Pictou County, NS(Zone 5a)

These iris were inherited when I moved to my new home in Nova Scotia. I am wondering if someone could identify them for me please.

Thumbnail by nsforager

Thumbnail by nsforager

And #3

Thumbnail by nsforager
South Hamilton, MA

The first looks like a form of I. variegata. Not a good angle for a picture, by the way. Try next spring?

South Hamilton, MA

The other 2 are historics of some sort--better picture angle on#3.

Thanks, I did not know that I would be using the pics for this purpose or I definitely would have taken more helpful shots. I'll catch them again next year!

Could the blue one be Amas?

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

#2 might be Lent A Williamson. It has more color on the shoulders and the streak down the center of the falls.

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

I was looking through an old HIPS magazine and saw an iris that could possibly be #3, called Sachem. The colors looke the same and the standards had that backward flare. Early 1900's but can't remember the year.
However trying to find a picture of it on the Internet is proving impossible. Not sure where to look now to prove or disprove it.

Thanks everyone for all the help ~ I really appreciate it. I will try to find some information on Sachem and #2 does seem to resemble Lent A Williamson.

I found Sachem on hips-roots.com. Unfortunately, the standards are not the right color. The standards on #3 are a dull mustard yellow color. Still searching.........

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Sachem--Loomis 1930. #3 looks very much like the HIPS photo gallery picture.

Sorry, we must have checked at the same time. Colors in pictures can be deceiving. I have seen pics in HIPS with 3 or 4 of the same iris but having all different details such as color.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 6:53 PM

libau, Canada

could the first one be bumblebee deelite?

South Hamilton, MA

I think not, the falls seem to be the wrong shape & I suspect it is too old to be that plant.

Yes, they are all older iris but I am inclined to think that #1 is probably the oldest of the three but I do seem to have vague memories of seeing #3 in my mothers garden back in the mid to late 50's. #2 grows in my neighbor's garden as well and has been there since the 70's/80's if not longer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.