Unvirused 'Stuttgart' .. anyone out there who has it?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

My original 'Stuttgart' was clean as a whistle. In my efforts for a disease free collection, I got rid of everything that was virused. My 'Stuttgart' stayed in isolation for a season and a half before I saw virus start, so I sadly discarded ); I have been 2 years now trying to find it clean again. All the specimens I got this season as "clean" are virused ); So, if anyone has grown their' 'Stuttgart' for years, in isolation from all the virused cannas of the last years, or as part of an unvirused collection, I will be happy if you would share with me so I have it clean again. I have lots of clean stock to trade.
Thanks,
Alice

Marlboro, NJ

Hi Alice

I have a couple of Stuttgarts from last year that are not showing any virus. If you would like I will gladly send them when I dig them up. The leaves seem to burn so easily that they really aren't that attractive. I even placed them in an area that gets only abut 5 hours of sun and the leaves still burn. What a magnificent plant it would be if the leaves were " normal ", whatever that is. LOL.
I hope all is well Herman

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Herman,
Good to see you here :)
Yes, I will take a look at it. Thank you.
It would be good if it is clean :)))
Alice

Marlboro, NJ

Hi Alice

I'll send them as soon as the foliage dies off. I could dig them up before that. Would i be hurting it or any other canna by digging it up before the foliage turns brown? I wouldn't think so because of the cannas that you send to me but i'm just checking. Herman :)

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Herman,
Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner.
You can dig before the foliage dies. It would be sooner to study with foliage.
We had a no rain summer. FINALLY it rained last week .. all week.
The cannas grew large and tight due to irrigation. But digging has been impossible.
It was a weird weather year here again.
It seems every year anymore I am saying that. But seems it's a different reason each year.
Alice

Vista, CA

Abutilon--Do you have an unvirused Stuttgart yet? I am going to be digging mine soon (it's an awfully aggressive grower)--have had it for nearly 10 years, and haven't seen any viruses. Will be happy to send you a start. Jerry

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

No, I do not, Jerry. Yes, I would like to try yours.
That is far enough back, it may not have been exposed.
Especially if you have not introduced any cannas with virus in the interim.
Let me know when you are ready and we will work something out.
Keeping everything crossed it is clean :))
Thanks!
Alice

Vista, CA

Send your address to me at vistaplantmaniac@sbcglobal.net so I can send you a division this week. Jerry

Vista, CA

Alice--here's an attempt at a photo--it's not what I'd planned on for a first try, but it shows Stuttgart pretty clearly so you can decide if it's clean. I don't see any virus, at least not like I'm used to seeing.

Thumbnail by scalplantmaniac
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Wow Jerry, those look great from the pic! Congrats on keeping a clean stock!

Alice....Strawberry Delight is blooming.....I LOVE it!!

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Stuttgart,... you keep those babies safe! I don't know what happened to mine.. I had them for about 5 years then about 3 years ago they did not come back. They looked like yours.. nice and white. I miss them. So many things are virused now. Hardly any of my cannas survived this last winter.. I have a single bengal that is growing by itself that is looking beautiful but it is staying small and is not spreading at all.. I need it to spread a little. No rain in 10 months is a big problem.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

LhasaLover........that's the problem... For both of us.NO RAIN in months. However others are flooding. Mother Nature can be a BI@#$TCH.

GET a HOSE and "water until your utility bill skyrockets. That's our only hope. Also.. At the same time pay attention to the water usage BANS.... They mey seem unfair, yet we need all we can get in emergency.

Fire In New Mex, AND, AZ. WE are next
~~PEACE~~
M

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Our current watering ban is 3 days a week only between 6pm and 10am.. enjoying it while I can because as of July 1 it decreases to 3 days a week and only by use of a hand watering hose.. looks like I will be spending a LOT more time looking at my yard! I don't mind hand watering my yard.. it is hauling that heavy hose around and the connection leaks and is such a waste of water but I have tried to fix it so many times I have given up. It does water that part of the flowerbed though. It will take me at least 2 hours each day to water well each day. My few cannas will really enjoy it.because they will get the extra water they crave.. they require "that your hand remain on the hose at all times" Elderly people just cannot manage it.. I think it is unfair to disabled people.. I know my back will not hold out.. I will put a chair out and sit in it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.