How do I prepare my clematis for winter?

Tinmouth, VT(Zone 4b)

I think my first year jackmanii clematis did really well this year. It grew about 24 inches high and produced several beautiful blooms. Now I wonder what to do for it for winter in Vermont, where we could get temps as low as 20 below zero. I know they are perennial here -- other people I know have them. Should I cut it back? Mulch the roots? Any advice would be welcome. thanks.
Genie

Thumbnail by genie1020
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't own Jack, but have 3-5 others....I would think mulch them , they love it anyways and thats what I do here in Maine. They like the tops in the sun and their roots cool in the summer so im thinking warm in the winter. ^_^
Victor should chime in soon, he owns over 30 varieties and he can tell you for sure.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

BTW, Welcome to the Northeast forum Genie!!

Tinmouth, VT(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Pixie!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Genie!

I would certainly mulch. You can cut it in the fall, but it really won't make a difference. Usually, it's done in late winter / early spring. It's very hardy.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Victor, i wasn't positive on the cutting back part.

Anytime!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Welcome genie. I agree mulch around the roots. I usually cut mine back in early spring around the time the forsythia blooms, just reminds me it's time, when I do the roses, butterfly bushes and russian sage. It is a type three clem so blooms on new growth. I really like your nice heavy trellis.

Thomaston, CT

I do , too! Hard to remember which clems bloom on new wood or old....if it's old wood, & you cut it down, there go the blooms for next year. I don't touch my clems until I see new growth in spring, but I think a mulch is a good idea.

No, you'll still get blooms if you cut down the old growth ones - just fewer. But it will also encourage more stems to grow. That's why I treat 2's as 3's the first couple of years.

Thomaston, CT

Oooh, OK... maybe I can get Ville de Lyon to bloom again....hasn't bloomed in a few years.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have two that I've had for 7 years and I don't think i've ever seen them bloom. :(

Wow. Cut it back to the ground and try fertilizing next year.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I did this year, got brave and whacked it, it grew nicely, much more growth but still no blooms. I think I need to move them, and amend the soil...maybe they are to close together??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

One of them is a red one called 'Allanah' and the other is a white, but I can't remember the name now!

I doubt being close is the problem.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

They are only 6" apart now that they've filled out.........

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Allanah' was planted for Josh, he loves red and so does Justin so I planted them against the house so they would crawl up by the window. That hasn't happened! LOL
Here's a good pic of 'Allanah', which is why I chose this one. But now I think I would of had better luck with a different red!!
http://www.gardenphotographer.com/images/website4.jpg

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 9:51 AM

Pretty.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

If they are in full sun it could be too much nitrogen in the fertilizer and soil. They say you should use a slow release fertilizer 5-10-10 for clems in the spring and again after they bloom.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you Patty, they are in full sun from about 1pm to sundown.

Main ingredient is the P for blooms.

Thomaston, CT

I've put lime on mine every year...it's in the sun most of the day, & it used to bloom.....that's the part I don't understand.....Pixie, yours is a gorgeous color!

Tinmouth, VT(Zone 4b)

Thanks, everybody, for all the information, and the welcome. I didnt realize there were different types of clematis. My mom grew them years ago, but I never paid any attention. So I will mulch for the winter and cut it back in the spring. Thank you again.

You're welcome. Here's a great site.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.cfm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.