New to coleus question: How to overwinter my plants?

New Milford, CT

I have dozens of plants grown from seed last winter indoors and then kept outdoors this summer (Zone 5). I also have two that I kept indoors in a south-facing but mostly shaded window all summer. These two are puny, short and skinny with only a few leaves. (Why is that?) The ones outdoors have thrived, even recovering after the deer came right up on the deck and chomped off the tops. Some of the tops are happily growing all over again in new pots!

I’m going to have to bring them in soon for the winter as nights are getting below 60. Can I keep them growing and recovering from the recent deer mauling, or will they stop growing like the two indoor ones? Even if they do, will they at least survive until next summer? Or should I just count on pinching and planting to keep growing new ones while the existing ones die off?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Give them a thorough washing and give the soil a good drenching of something like insecticidal soap. Allow them to drain outside for a day or two (or more).

Bring them inside, keep them pinched (you can root the cuttings), but resist the urge to water too often: it's a certain death sentence for coleus indoors. An east exposure is said to be best since the sun from the south invites insect problems.

As for why the two you kept inside are puny...the light coming in the windows isn't as direct as it is in winter. Why not treat them to a dappled shade spot in the garden for a few weeks before you bring them inside? They will likely surprise you with new growth.

The deer haven't touched my coleus but have enjoyed the hosta this year.

Good luck! Keep us posted as to their progress, please.

New Milford, CT

Thank you so much! I wouldn’t have thought of insecticidal soap, of course I would have been sorry later! I’ll keep you posted!

As for the deer – LOL I think it was the three fawns who’ve been wandering around my yard this summer. They don’t know they don’t like them so they keep biting off the tops, repeatedly, and then spitting them out! Just like my teenagers, I can't wait for them to grow up.

The young deer are definitely not educated as to what to eat. I spread branches of sage over some of my hosta and they very sweetly moved them out of the way to feast.

New Milford, CT

The whole world is fair game when you're young ...

How true!

This year, for the first time, they decided to feast on the actual tomato vines. Here I was believing they were poisonous to creatures but I haven't seen any dead deer in the garden. We finally put up the deer mesh 10' high so now they can't have their midnight snack here anymore.

New Milford, CT

Yeah, well, haven't you seen those deer that go around with wirecutters ... :-D))

Funny!

I might have to get a taser gun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.