Pomegranate what kind?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

I was given this pomegranate and do not know what specific type it is. I planted it on the South side of the house and it seems to be doing pretty good, but any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Thumbnail by sinkevito
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking at its current size and growth habit it's possible that it's 'Nana' which is a dwarf variety--but since I don't know how old your plant is it's hard to be sure on that. If it's not 'Nana' then it'll eventually get quite large and probably ought to be moved farther out from the house. If it's not 'Nana' there's really no way to tell which cultivar it is at this point. With fruit or flowers you might be able to get an ID if it turns out to be one with unique coloration, but honestly a lot of pomegranate cultivars look the same but the fruit quality & flavor vary so unless the person who gave it to you has some more info for you, it may not be possible to know for sure what cultivar it is.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

I will take a picture of it when it fruits or flowers and re-post. Hopefully I get lucky and it is of the 'nana' variety since I do not want it to get too large. Thanks for the info.

Elgin, TX

There are a few pomegranates whose new growth is green instead of red, these are typically the white flowering types like Hiku-Botan and "White Flower", so these can be eliminated quickly. Most of the Bonsai types have darker green leavs (Hisa-Kuro) for example, so these are unlikely, though light levels could change the leaf color some what. There is a small number of pomegranates also that have small dents in the tips of the leaves, instead of the nice sharp ones seen here. so those can be eliminated. There are still a large number of pomegranate varieties remaining, White, SharpVelvet and Kashmere Blend aren't that bushy, and tend to shoot up with one long branch at a time. This plant does look like a young Nana I received this spring, and unfortunately, also several of the "Wonderful" seedlings look like this too. The flowers may help, but you should be able to know when it fruits.

Saint Petersburg, FL

I've got both a Nana and a Wonderful, and the growth habit on the Nana looks more like this (bushier). The Wonderful is taller and leaner.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the helpful information. I think it is a Nana too. I will post new pics soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.