Tropicanna deadheading help

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I bought 4 containers this summer of this canna. I have never really grown cannas before and need some guidance about deadheading. Where do I cut the dead flower off at? In easy to understand terms too...lol. And as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! I've been searching for this info, but coming up with all kinds of answers from: 1: don't need to deadhead 2: cut right beneath dead flower (but don't cut off hard to see new buds) 3: cut stalk all the way to the ground.

Also, I plan on lifting them and trying to store them for next year. I am thinking of putting them in containers next year and was wondering what size pots I should buy for them. IF they make it through the winter. I tried storing dahlias and they turned into prunes. ;o( But I'm going to try with the cannas anyway. What do I have to lose?

Thank you,
Sherry

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I cut them off just under the first flower, or where the first flower was.. But i wait until a new flower shoot has started so i'm not to damage that.. I only do this for some of my cannas as others seed and i keep the seeds.. Tropicanna's however dont seed so i cut those..
You dont need to deadhead however it looks better i find if you do.. I also wouldn't cut the whole stock off, they will continue to flower so cutting it off will stop the flowering...

I store all mine in a huge rubber-made container, putting each in separate plastic baskets.. (storage containers found at dollar stores) At the bottom i turn one basket over to keep my roots from sitting in water.. I found that the container closed the walls will sweat and some water will collect on the bottom, so i try to be safe..

I planted tropicannas in pots this year and they are sad looking, only got about 2 feet tall.. I have them in 12" pots so they might be to small.. Also if your going the pot route dont get clay or breakable pots and nothing really expensive as i have heard they break right through pots..

hope this helps
jen

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Jen,

I think you should be the canna editor for Dave's Garden.

Could you please post pictures of how you store your rhizomes?

After observing the flora in the Rocky Mountain high contry, I think we may be in for a fast cold Fall? So I need to prepare for the inevitable.

Thank You!

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

lol i've only been growing them for this being my second year... i dont have pics but could take some in the fall..

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

That would be fantastic!

I am thinking of going the seed route next year, but there are some tropicanas on sale at the nursery. When I saw them in one gallon pots it just stopped me in my tracks, at ten bucks a pop....I will see if I can wheel and deal for them all.

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

tropicannas dont seed the only way to get the is from roots.. $10 yes is a bit pricey when you think about it but after one year you'll have enough for the whole neighbor hood lol...
Seeds are fun cause they could be close to the parents or something different..
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.