corkscrew weeping willow declining

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Our neighbors at the lake have a huge willow on the side of the house that now towers over the second story. Within a week it has died. They aren't up a lot, but have a sprinkler system and the grass is green, so it's getting enough water. It's about 10 yrs old. They asked me to look at it (like I could tell them why it's dying...). The only thing I could come up with is...possibly...the new next door neighbors fertilized with Weed and Feed. but of course, it would be hard to bring up that question with the new neighbor...
My questions are: About how long do willows live, and are there other reasons for one to abruptly die? It was 104 up there yesterday, but that's fairly normal for this time of year, and it didn't affect the tree in years past. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The tree was a gift from one of the children. I told them if anyone would know it would be here.....

Dahlonega, GA

Bubbles , I can't help you on that , but why don't you get some of the better looking cuttings and stick them in a bucket of water in the shade ? If the tree dies , maybe you can get some more going from the orignal and the neighbor would apperciate your help to keep it going for them . That way the kids gift lives on .

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Unfortunately, I'm back in Austin now. The tree is pretty much gone...no leaves, limbs literally cracking and falling off. If it's a disease, I might be re-introducing it. Would have been a great idea, tho. Just would have needed to be up there sooner. Thanks for suggestion!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A little weed & feed from the neighbors shouldn't cause a tree to die, let alone that quickly. Unfortunately I don't have any good ideas what it could have been, but I don't think that would be the problem. It might be worth talking to the neighbors though if they're around a fair amount--if they noticed some symptoms starting that might give some clues what the problem was. Once a tree's completely dead it's often harder to figure out what's going on but if they remember some things from when it was declining but not dead yet that might be helpful.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe someone's septic tank or tile is leaking raw sewage underground. I think that would burn the heck out of tree roots in no time.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Sandi, I may have the answer for you. I was just going over my July/August issue of Neil Sperry's Gardens magazine. In his Q. & A. section, someone asked for help on yellowing willows that are losing their leaves. Your neighbor's willow may have died from Cotton Root Rot. Willows are highly susceptible to it especially if they are grown in the alkaline soils west of I-35. Death is fairly quick. Sperry says the average life span for weeping willows in alkaline soils is 6 years. Once the fungus finds its way into the soil, it can remain for quite a long while. If the problem is Cotton Root Rot, your neighbors will have to find a tree that is fairly resistant to the fungus.

http://www.gardenguides.com/109260-weeping-willow-root-rot-identification.html

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow Veronica, I think you may have nailed it! The symptoms are the same. I'm going to e-mail them this morning.

ecrane....When I worked the phones at the Master Gardener desk, after asking a few questions of the caller concerning a tree in decline, we'd ask what kind of fertilizer they were using. Quite a few of those callers would tell us they'd "used weed&feed, but not around the base of the tree." They didn't realize the roots of the tree sprawled out into the lawn. You're right about the sudden decline being too fast for weed&feed poisoning, tho. Appreciate the response.

As for the neighbors checking on the tree, on our little peninsula of 20 homes only 2 are permanent residents ( and we all already take too much advantage of 'em!).

And as an aside....the neighbor already contacted a tree trimmer to remove the tree. We also have a mulberry in our yard up there that needs to come down. Apparently, the neighbor gave him our number so he could give us an estimate for taking our tree down at the same time. He called yesterday......$1000. Doesn't that sound a little excessive? I think I'll get a couple more bids....or take it down a little at a time myself! Geez....

Dahlonega, GA

Big B , those are Austin prices . It's a shame . I got four 80' pines and three hardwoods down for 1100.00 and he had to climb all of them .

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Actually, the house is on Lake LBJ.....but you're right about the price being "Austin." The guy told DH that he was going to be "in our neighborhood" today, as he was fixing the irrigation system at the governor's (rent) house. DH told him we live in the much lower rent district than the governor does! I think he based his price on where he thought we lived....

Dahlonega, GA

Big B a pole saw on a mulberry should work , wouldn't you think ? Unless you have a lot of stuff under it . Careful cutting might make it manageable . They also have lifts you can rent to get up in there . I just hate to hire someone to do a job if there is anyway I can do it . Good luck on what ever you decide

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't think a pole saw will do it. It's the big tree to the left on the side of the house. The nutrias stripped the bark off part of the trunk over the winter. We had to wrap screen around it to keep them away. There's some huge limbs that are hanging over the house. The other mulberry (in the mid of photo) will eventually have to be cut down. It used to shade the sleeping porch, but is leaning more and more the other way.... We had a big pecan tree that shaded the back deck, but it started dying and we had to have it removed a few yrs ago. I remember 4 guys came, cut down the tree, and hauled it off for $125. Can't find their card!!

BTW..Where the bag of fertilizer is to the right of the tree by the deck stairs...is where the skunk and her kiddos were going in and out the night before we came home..... We hope we temporarily locked them out until we can get back up and close up the lattice&screen. Always something!!!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Dahlonega, GA

Hope there's no kitties trapped under there . I have a hugh pine the boys will lay down for 100.00 but can't get D H to clear stuff out of its path . They would just cut it And they are good !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.