Dutch Iris Seeds

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

? has anyone ever grown Dutch Iris from seed pods? Any suggestions ? If so I have plenty to give away for the cost of postage if any one is interested. The color of the D.I. are light power blue.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

jake,

i have grown lilies from seed, also blackberry lily - which is actually an iris . . . also hungarian iris from seed, so i would love to have a go at getting a good patch of light powder blue dutch iris blooming from seed in my garden. an SASE on the way to your snail-mail addy. thanks

atbty !

~ ŁazŁo

Thumbnail by LazLo
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

btw - would you be interested in seeds from my Freckle Face blackberry lilies? as with you and the dutch iris seed pods, i've got plenty  of seed pods for these - i've got several opened and dried out already - - i can put into my snail-mail to you. plmk.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi LazLo: It's Jake from Manassas Virginia. Sounds good to me. Lets do it. email me & I will send you my address. I don't normaly deal with seeds but what the heck. But I will give it a try. I have additional seeds like Spider Plants as shown on this weeks DG email. White Buble Gum Plants. Are you interested ? Please let me know. PS hate to tell you this but if you are a Footbal Fan I AM A DIEHARD REDSKIN FAN. Regardless its Jake your Garden Friend from Virginia.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

well, alrighty then - - and lucky for you i am a transplant here from Tidewater VA, Jake (Va Bch) . . . LOL !!!

i have your addy already, from the DG addy exchange - mine's there too . . . sure - i'd love to give the bubble gum plants a shot!!!

let me share a tip about getting seeds to work for ya . . . I usually dust the top of the container(s) with ground cinnamon - - just a slight dash to each 2 in. pot in the seed tray. Then I stir the cinnamon into the soil and wet it down thoroughly. Cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal agent, retarding or even preventing the occurence of damp off - - the #1 killer of seeds in the earliest stages of germination.

i use that method when sowing those itsy bitsy teensie weensie seeds . . . for those you can actually pick up one-by-one with your own fingers, i put them in an old pill bottle with about an eighth of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and just give 'em a shake, shake, shake (do the Calypso) to let 'em get a light coating of cinnamon and then go ahead and sow as usual. i get great increases in germination rates doing it that way as well.

atbty !

Don

Thumbnail by LazLo
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

Any change I could trade you for some Freckle Face blackberry lilies seeds? I love these,,,,,I could send you a little birdie?

jm

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

no problem, JM, but well, you should write a note to me in DMail as this thread is Okyo's not my own.

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

OH Im sooo sorry...

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

No harm or foul. You all can trade on my site. I might see something I like & I might ask for a piece of the action. Keep the information lines flowing.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

JM -

the biggest problem with text messaging is that so often one can come off as being picky or grumpy. if i was guilty of appearing negative toward you in any way, i am sincerely sorry.

my freckle face blackberry lilies had oodles of seed pods, and i find some of them newly opened every morning. i will be happy to share a bunch of them with you. they have been very easy to germinate in the past, esp. using the cinnamon in a bottle prep for sowing. by the end of your second autumn with them, you should be able to divide the tubers just the same as with bearded irises, as these are not true lilies but irises themselves.

so, what is "a little birdie"?

ATBTY !       ~       ŁazŁo    ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

Okyo - are these yellow ones?

LazLo - do you know if deer like them? They sound kind of cute.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

They are power blue (pale color blue). I have no problem with deer eating them. They have plenty of other deserts in my gardens to eat when they come by. I stand on my deck about 25 to 30 feet away every evening & one will look at me & the others keep eating like nothing is going on. Thats what I call team work.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

i really don't know if deer will munch 'em - do you grow any other irises and do the deer munch on 'em?

Thumbnail by LazLo

I have yellow flag water irises. They leave them alone.

btw I should have some seeds and/or plants (I HAVE to divide these things) to give away or trade if anyone wants some

This message was edited Aug 17, 2010 10:53 AM

Youngstown, OH

Do you still have some dutch iris seeds for postage? PLMK. Thanks.

Sue

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sue: I would rather make a trade. I see that you have Iris named "Mothers Little Helper" Would you like to trade for it ? I can offer you a Daylily called Moorish that looks like A Little Fire Iris. Please let me know I can also package the Dutch Iris Seeds with the trade. Jake

Roscoe, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Jake-
I'm interested in the Dutch Iris seeds, either for postage or trade. Check out my tradeslist and let me know if anything there floats your boat. Thanks!
weedsbgone

ok I have some yellow iris seeds. Could trade for some of the blue please?

Ocean Springs, MS

Jake,
I have some peacock iris seeds, if you are interested in a swap. Send me a dmail. Thanks, julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.