What to do with Tadpoles?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I have several Gulf coast toads (Bufo nebulifer) near my small pond. A few weeks ago, I noticed toad eggs in the pond, and removed some of them to a shallow container. After they hatched, I started feeding them frozen sugar snap peas, which was all I had in the freezer that I didn't want. So now I have a couple of hundred tadpoles. They've been growing great & I've noticed that they are starting to get their legs. Once they start moving out of the water, I planned on placing the container in a shady spot in the garden. Should I feed them anything when they get to this stage? Or just let them try to survive on their own?

Jo-Ann

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

put them back into the pond if it doesnt cause circulation issues, they are tuff, they know how to survive and whats for dinner where you put them, chuckl. They'll grow better too, more food resources in ponds

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

None of the others that I left in the pond survived. I couldn't tell at what stage of development they died, but none made it through the tadpole stage.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhh, something in the pond is hungry, they do tend to grow a little faster with heat and resources-survival trait-, their diet changes, from small mosquito larvae to larger bugs, but mine are just as happy with plain ol goldfish food as well. The flakes that is. you might start by feeding them, then weaning them off by feeding them less often. They are going to disappear, all over the place, like teenagers they have an itch to find their own place in the world, but there will always be some to show back up...

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Well, I did put some in the pond to see how they would fare, and the goldfish snapped them right up!! I have about 5 large (6-8") goldfish and they just had a feast. So now I know what happens to the tadpoles in the pond.

The container I have them in is like a plant saucer, about 15" round & 1" deep. I've placed it in a shady spot next to the pond. I had a mosquito dunk in the water, but I'll remove that so that the can have some mosquito larvae. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.