Italian iris

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I went to the local regional iris auction and bought Augusto Bianco's beautiful Mozzafiato. Not only is it beautiful but it has a spicy fragrance. Is there any difference in the cultivation of these irises that come from other countries?

Lebanon, OR

Mittsy

I just plant and grow and have spoken to Augusto on the phone and he does pretty much everything we do at about the same time of the season. Plant and enjoy

D

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Hmm... Mozzafiatto? I don't have that one... yet.....! Guess I'll start making my wish list for next year. &:-)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Mittsy, do you have a photo of Mozzafiato? Intriguing name....

Lebanon, OR

Mozzafiato

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This is so funny. Dee generously gifted our iris society with some irises. I think I bought the first Bianco one, and Mittsy got the second. They went over big, for sure. Thanks Dee!

Lebanon, OR

You are welcome...going to be receiving the Bianco iris any day now and never know what I will be receiving.

D

Mittsy , you must have gone to this auction months ago.???

No we just had it Sunday.

Newfield, NY

mittsy,do you have any for Mozzafiato trade?

Thumbnail by doridunn

No, I just purchased it. Won't have any to trade for a minimum of three years.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

As far as I know Dee is the only one that carries the Bianco ones. And I hear she's getting quite a few new ones for next year. :)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the photo Dee, that's gorgeous. I Googled the name, but couldn't find anything I could understand. lol

Lebanon, OR

Here is his site http://www.biancoiride.it/

I will only know when I receive the box:) what he sends as he does try to send me the ones I ask for if possible

D

How is it that someone had an iris blooming in August? Is it a rebloomer?

Lebanon, OR

Was up at Schreiners and Cooleys today into the seedling and commercial beds picking up the iris for the auction and they both had quite a few rebloomers

D

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I had my first rebloomers this year - Total Recall has about 5 hefty blooming stalks and I have been cutting each one as they open and bringing it in. Very refreshing lemonade fragrance for August. Low Ho Silver (?) had 1 reblooming stalk also..

The place where the auction was held had several clumps of Immortality in full bloom. Borglum's brought one of theirs (a very ruffly lavender) in bloom. It had smaller flowers but lots of them. When I asked about it, I was told it wasn't for sale!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

De I thought Cooley's closed their doors or was that just selling over the net???

Lebanon, OR

Oh no, they are are still there and do the webpage and the catalog they just downsized. From a couple of hundred to I think he said under 20 acres and instead of 150 employees just 4 total.

But very much alive and well. The place is still as always.

D

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is good to hear. I just never checked as I thought they were done. I have not ordered in a long time from them but was always very happy with my orders when I did. Thanks for the info.

Lebanon, OR

I really do not know where that rumor got started as all they did was to downsize! Still great iris.

D

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Oh my!! Dee, your picture of Mozzafiato is beautiful. Definitely going on my wish list.

Mittsy, congratulations!

Thanks.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The Italian irises are so gorgeous. Thanks to Dee for bringing them to us. The one I purchased was George Smith. Now, I tell you, does that sound Italian? But it's a Bianco, and it's gorgeous!!!! I think even though Dee is closed for the year, you will still find it pictured on her website.

We have a lady from France that just joined on that other site, and she is posting gorgeous pictures of some of the English and French irises. Some wonderful pics of Cayeaux ones.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I love Bianco Iris as are so different. I purchased Stozzapreti from Dee this year and can't wait to see it bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.