Satallite TV - Strange Channel Mixup - Anyone Know Why?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi,

Around 6:30AM (EST) I was shocked to find that roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of my Dish channels were suddenly airing incorrect programming, middle eastern content of various kinds completely unrelated to what the channel would normally be showing. By that I mean that, for instance, Boomerang was airing what appeared to be a mid eastern news channel, ELOVE appeared to be showing mid eastern music videos, etc. Other channels were airing what looked like yoga, a fashion show, more news, more videos, movies, soaps, and so on, all in arabic.

Curious to know what was going on I scanned news channels on air and online, googled for anything about the problem, and even called Dish, all to no avail. Dish acknowledged that they were having a problem and would have it fixed as soon as possible but a very guarded representative was careful to stick to the company line and unwilling or unable to explain more.

Most channels have now resumed proper programming. Still, I am quite curious as to what happened here. Was it just a 'boo boo' at Dish? Or was it more pervasive effecting all alliterate TV? Was it just a programming error? Or did someone manage to hack into the satellite signals? Just very curious. Anyone know anything?

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!