Vintage 50's children's vinyl records

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry I don't have a picture to post. I can't seem to find a photo of what I'm looking for anywhere on the net.

I am trying to research/locate information about a set of children's vinyl records we had when I was a kid.

These records were LP's...can't remember what speed they were played at, but probably 33 rpm. (???) The records themselves came in several colors and were transparent...like looking through colored glass. They were definitely NOT black vinyl. I think there were about 12 or 15 records in the whole set. Some were red, some blue, some green etc. but all were transparent.

What is/was unique about this collection of records is this:
1.) In place of what would normally be a "label" on a traditional album that indicated the record co., list of songs, and length of each song, there was a colored image (different on each record) of assorted things...like fish, birds, cats, dogs, flowers, etc. etc. etc.

2.) After you placed the record on the turntable, there was a small accessory piece that you placed on the little stub that held the record in place. This "piece" looked like a miniature circus tent. It was 6 or 8 sided, mirrored all around, and had a little domed top like a circus tent, which was painted bright yellow and red and had a knob in the center of the "roof' for handling purposes. It was probably 6" tall at most.

3.) When the turntable was activated and the record started to turn, the images on the "label" were reflected in the mirrored sides of the "tent" and appeared to be moving. The fish would swim, the birds would fly, etc. etc. depending on which image that particular record had on it. This was a really cool thing because you could listen to the music and watch the little "show" on the tent as the record spun in circles.

I don't remember what songs were on each record. More than likely, they were just nursery rhymes or typical songs that appealed to children.

Where we got this set of records and the little mirrored accessory piece is anyone's guess. It's long gone, and I've never seen another one like it in my entire life. I have no clue who made it, or where they were sold, but we were the envy of the neigfhborhood kids for having it. My parents are deceased and none of my siblings know where we got it.

Does anyone remember seeing these things or having one ?
My guess is that they were probably "expensive" at the time...and why we had one is another mystery since we weren't rich by any means ! LOL We did have a wealthy aunt who lived in another state, so that must be where we got it.

Any info. or ideas is greatly appreciated.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!