ID Anyone? This is a shrub I saw in Savannah...

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Would someone please ID this shrub I saw while in Savannah this weekend. I'm hoping it's also hardy a little farther north...here in Columbia SC. Many thanks...

Thumbnail by SCBegoniaGuy
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi,

It looks like Rotheca myricoides 'Ugandense' (also known as Clerodendrum ugandense.) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1874/

Hope that helps! :)
Danita

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

One more thing to make me wish I lived ONE ZONE farther south. :)

Thanks, Danita!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Well understood, and Danita is right on with the C. ugandense, not only attractive, but berries as well.
I love the Clerodendrums, I grow C. trycottomum, and C. bungy, and they are prolific around here, but sometimes you can be successful, in Z/7, with other C. by planting them in a protected environment, and do that little bit of extra protection when needed.However, it only takes one little mistake, and the cold wild take it.Thats why I am wanting a GH. Mike

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Might want to check this one out, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/772/index.html. Those can be easily trimmed into bushes and I think that's along the lines of what you're looking for.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the insight, everybody! I had a small greenhouse, but a bad storm took it down. Now I can hardly walk through my own house during winter. I have a collection of tropical plants that has to come indoors already. But I figure I can "baby" a specimen until it gets large enough to leave outdoors. A heavy layer of mulch once it's cut back would help, I'm sure. Thanks again!

Scott

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

You can build a fairly cheap greenhouse with 2" pvc pipe and connectors. And use heavy 6mil plastic over it. Not as pretty as the one I really want, but serves the purpose.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

But 6 mil has become very pricey and a GH not so cheap to heat come winter. lol I normally keep the orchids out until late Dec. on the decks. We convert the gabled slat house to a lean-to against the main house walls. I have indoor/outdoor carpet down on the deck floor and we 6 mil the walls. A small radiant heater does the job to heat. I've had some hairy experiences at 3 am with big storms, wind and the plastic tearing but the care is much easier because I can water freely.
Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, my electric bill can get pretty high sometimes... I only turn it on when it gets below about 35. I did have to put another layer of tarp over it several times last winter. Geez, I sure hope it doesn't get that cold again. !!!!!

Lake Park, GA

I have this shrub in my yard, but I don't know if it will come back or not. We have had some cold nights and the folage is dead. I'm hoping that it will survive. If not, I will have to order another plant as I think it is so pretty. The bees liked it too. The flowers look like little butterflies. I am in south Georgia, but still too cold.

Lake Park, GA

Hurray!! I see little green shoots peeping out of the ground..It's going to make it.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That's exciting! Congratulations.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear about it. Mike

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

congrats to your new babies...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.