Epiphyllum success (finally!)

Johns Island, SC

I've been messing with these things for years, but they refused to flower. This one finally did (it was worth waiting for!). Epiphyllum "unforgettable".

Thumbnail by StonoRiver
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Showoff..;(
Kidding! Very nice. I have one; when it blooms I'll be posting a pic also.
Barb

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

beautiful Stono! I picked one up at Surf Side Beach last year at a yard sale...it has bloomed once for me this year (about two months ago and it gave me 3 blooms) well worth the wait...if only my Bird of Paradise would now co-operate - had this one going on 3 yrs and Tropicana had it for 2 yrs prior to giving it to me so one would think it'd give me a little sumthin sumthin for the wait LOL

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

here's a pic of it blooming....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Johns Island, SC

That's the brightest red I've ever seen! I had given up on epiphyllums and planned to leave mine out this winter. The flower changed my mind. I just didn't realize they had to achieve a certain size or age to bloom. Neglect may be a factor in their blooming, too. I just put the pot in the woods this spring when emptying my greenhouse and forgot about it. Didn't even put an emitter on it, so it got no water for 7 weeks between the end of May/beginning of July... Then one day I noticed that flower... Changed everything! I'll be rooting cuttings next week!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Stono - I totally agree with you that neglect is the key on this one....mine fell over in a storm when I lived in Newberry this spring - three pieces broke off on the ground and I just left them there - about 3 weeks later I saw buds starting on two of them - they hadn't been watered (other than the wet spring we had) once I moved to Sumter the one still in the pot started blooming - I had forgotten it in my trunk! lol and it was in there for like two weeks - again...neglect and it blooms LOL gotta love that about a plant

Deanna

Johns Island, SC

I hear ya, Deanna! Problem comes when we have to define how much "neglect" is beneficial! And I have no idea... Maybe someone knows on DG...there may even be a specificic epiphylum site. Since I'd mentally "given up" on epiphylums, I never checked...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.