beavers/muskrat damage to container plants by water

Boston, MA

hello - have containers close to water on pond in central MA - getting damage to (so far) container sunflowers, cosmos, even marigolds. Perp seems to be coming from the water (chewed stems in water) - suspect beaver or muskrat - Shot-Gun Repels All has so far not deterred . any thoughts on: what this is - how to control
thanks very much

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Don't put your containers so close to the water ????

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Could be a ground hog also that comes for a drink and has a snack at the same time. I have one living here and chicken wire around tasty plants helps keep him away. Raise the pots up on stands or rocks. If they still get eaten maybe its bambi and friends. Good luck.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

if it is a muskrat you would see them - probably beaver or bambi - raise/move pots

Boston, MA

the ones raised have not been eaten ( yet) the area is the only place i have good sun for annuals - oh well: the display was great until a few days ago - so i guess I'll just raise as much as i can without destroying aesthetic value - do have back-ups coming on BTW: Shot-gun REPELS ALL sure does not seem to repel this

Boston, MA

update @ AUG 10: psyched up by noon to look at my display. No more damage . For what it's worth - the most vulnerable are marigolds, cosmos, zinnias, sunflowers. The least : dahlias, chrysanthemums, petunias, gazanias, mints

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.