Roots System

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Can anyone tell me roughly how deep Coleus roots may grow? I would think it can't be too deep since they are an annual in most every US climate.

I ask because we have our Septic Tank area enclosed with railroad ties, we did this to keep people from parking on it. Seems something about the area draws people to want to park there.. The area is about 16x8 and until recently it has been a "Bed of Weeds"...I have always been afraid to plant there for fear when it had to be pumped, the workers would have to dig my bed up completely..Several weeks ago we had a company come out and pump the tank.. All they did was dig a hole in the middle, pull a plug (cover), and then put it back when done... We then put the dirt back over it. While they were here they told me that I can use it as a flower garden. The guy suggested that I just place a bird bath or a good size plant over the plug that way it can be removed for future pumps and put back.

My hubby went to the dirt pit and bought a truckload of Garden Soil.. They told him it was top-soil mixed with compost.. We removed weeds, laid down landscape weed barrier fabric and he put the soil in about 4 or so inches deep.

So now I have a good size Alocasia cucullata, Chinese Taro, in a whiskey barrel planter atop the plug. I moved some different varieties of Elephant Ear to the back side of the bed.. right in the front corner I planted a Manaus Asystasia so it will trail out of the bed... There is a bench under some EE's in a back corner and a big pot of Blackie Sweet Potato vine in the other front corner. I can't really put anything in the ground that will root deeply.. I don't need the roots growing into the septic tank.. --

I wondering if it would be okay to plant some coleus in front of the Elephant Ears. Forgot to mention. the bed is in the middle of my back yard. There is a huge maple to the east (back of it) so plenty of morning shade. The front of the bed gets full sun from about 2 pm, but the back of the bed is still part shaded by the maple tree for the rest of the day..

What ya think? Any suggestions? or suggestions of other plants I may be able to use there?? Zone 8b.

Thanks...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coleus roots probably don't go deeper than 8" - not here, anyway.

You also might want to use part of the area for potted plant and Fine Gardening has a very nice article about staging a container display. Even if it just gave you a few ideas it's worth reviewing: http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/staging-container-plant-display.aspx

One of the major coleus suppliers is Rosy Dawn Gardens:
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/Selection_Guide.aspx

The above link is their Selection Guide and paragraph two gives the names of coleus that can take sun but...given your zone I'd ask others in the same zone which coleus tolerate the sun without burning.

Good luck.

Pirl,

Thanks again, I love the ideas in the link on Fine Gardening. I also think I may now have my hubby or dad (or both) come out and build me some "stadium bleacher" type shelves to sit behind the bed to give it a "backdrop".. Then I can put some shade lovn plants there and around there!!!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I also love the idea of "stadium gardens" . For anyone who cannot do digging it is perfect. Why have I never thought of this before?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

To get a similar effect turn two pots of the same size upside down and top them with a piece of slate.

I'm working on an area and if it gets done to my satisfaction (within my lifetime) I'll post a photo. :-)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes, great ideas, thanks Pirl.

Daisy, you can check with your local Health Dept but by law here in Maryland, the septic tank has to be 3 feet down in the ground. Also, it is solid,[ concrete, plastic, fiberglass, or metal (old ones)]. Most annuals and perennials even shrubs can be planted above it

If your tank (which collects and digests solid wast, and distributes liguis to shall drain fields or deep dry wells where the liquid will percolate thru the soil) flows in to shallow fields, it is best not to grow much besides grass over the area as evaporation from the soil surface as well as seepage into the soil usually works best. Any trees whose roots may seek water, like Willow for instance should be removed from any sanitary or septic system area including lines..

Take some before and after pics!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from daisylovn :
Can anyone tell me roughly how deep Coleus roots may grow? I would think it can't be too deep since they are an annual in most every US climate.

My hubby went to the dirt pit and bought a truckload of Garden Soil.. They told him it was top-soil mixed with compost.. We removed weeds, laid down landscape weed barrier fabric and he put the soil in about 4 or so inches deep.

Most coleus roots go down 12-15 inches in a season here. Four inches seems too shallow. Check out what is called "Lasagna Gardening" which is an alternative to weed block fbric which not only will prevent weeds from coming up, but also roots of plants you plant there from going down.

I grow colocasia and alocasia as combos with my coleus all the time,

Coleup, You are correct.. 3 ft down and per regulation it is fiberglass or cement. - We bought this house 5 yrs ago, so we did not put it down. Our neighbor is mother to the lady we bought it from and she had it built.. I'm gonna ask which it is.

I'm gonna check out the lasagna gardening..Thanks.

Pirl, I'm going to be looking for that picture! : )

Friend of mine had absolutely fabulous dafodils on the septic field.

Quote from Molamola :
Friend of mine had absolutely fabulous dafodils on the septic field.

Thanks for that information... I have quite a few potted plants out that and they look great in groupings.... but I have been seriously thinking so good ole bulbed flowers/plants would be good since I don't root deeply..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.