Unicarina peltate show and tell

Decatur, GA

I have been getting some flowers from this little plant and I finally got a picture to share. Its a small plant, maybe 5-6inches, but has been thriving this summer on my porch. Lucky me.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a Uncarina peltata also. It is only about 3 inches tall and no blooms yet. I wonder if I need to put it in a bigger pot. How big is yours? Here's a picture of mine.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

I would guess the container you are using is good. My pot is about 5inches. On closer inspection I should correct my guess about my plant. It is closer to 8-9inches tall. I have a U. grandidieri that is about 21/2 feet tall.
I find Unicarinas need a lot of water when they have leaves so I didn't want to use too small a pot. From my experience they fill their pot with a lot of roots and wilt quickly when dry.
Helen

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

What a unique plant, I just couldn't resist and bought an Uncarina roeoesliana on ebay. It's a small plant/seedling with only 3 leaves but I love how soft and fuzzy they are. I'm not familiar with the genus at all, is it better in full sun or light shade? also afraid to let it rot if too wet, have to find the right balance of moisture it likes... Wish me luck!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have Uncarina roeoesliana and, in Phoenix, it likes morning sun. I water often in summer when it is leaved out and growing. In the winter when it rests I water very little from Nov. until March.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Nancy, do you trim it or will it branch without trimming? Some pics show a very fancy shaped plants like bonsai, I wonder how well it responds to trimming?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

No I do not trim it. Mine is one center stem only. The leaves grow from it and so do the many flowers. Maybe Helenchild or someone else can answer it. Personally I would not trim it, at least until you are sure if okay. The plant on the right in the picture is U. roeoesliana last summer and it is taller this summer but flowered the same. No side shoots at all.
Edited to say: The thread below is a good one to read about care for this plant:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/737982/

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful plant! Thanks for the info, great pics too. I'm surprised the blooms are so big, most sites I checked mentioned the small size of flowers. I wonder is it difficult for the flower to set seeds?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The flowers are quite large. Mine has never set seed. As I recall from reading, it requires a bug of a certain type or size to do it. I suppose you could try with a little paint brush. The seed is quite unusual, from the ones I've seen on the Internet, and I don't think it is a good idea to handle them. They have sharp barbs.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!

I have a U. decaryi that is finally getting around to leafing out again. It leafs out in the house before it goes outside, and all those leaves burn, it goes briefly dormant and is now leafing out. Never had flowers, but it is starting a new branch at about 12" in height.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Mine doesnt like full sun
I keep it under an umbrella on the patio
It never stops blooming.
It hates full sun and hates the severe heat.

Thumbnail by Malestrom

Mine is in part shade too. I think I just did not rest it enough last year, I was being a softie and probably overwatered it. But that shot of your peltate? just cracks me up. Its what I am looking forward to having.

U kno me,
Im no where near finished lol!

Dr. Plumedephia, I be knowin' you. You are a crazy plant monster that must eat Cheese Steak Hogies for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner, and remain on unemployment to keep Plumedelphia happy.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Malestrom, your plant looks mature, love the exposed roots. Was it grown from cutting? Adenium cuttings don't develop caudex but form fancy root shapes as well.

This isnt an adenium.
Its a unicaria Roeseoleana or sumpin like dat.
I bought it as a 3 inch seedling in a co-op.
Each year I lift it just as it starts to form the 'ball' they usually have as a base.
I braid the roots each time I lift her.
She goes into shock and drops all her leaves and flowers.
I give her a Malestroms Cocktail and have one myself and she comes around nicely every year.

What is a Malestrom Cocktail, I have some plants that may do well with that?

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Well, I mentioned Adenium only because it had caudex, flowers and leaves just like Uncarina did, the key word was 'as well' and I obviously haven't delivered that, my fault....

On the positive note, I'd love to try the cocktail too, any chances to get the recipe?

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 7:04 PM

Obviously we need to bribe with Cheese Steaks.

Her cocktail is cool water with Super Thrive and a touch of molasses.
Mine is mango and cranberry syrup mixed with vodka and JD hehe :P

I see. Does molasses give nutrients to a plant it needs?

Its very high in Phosphorus

wow suddenly nothing....
Ya'll must be drinking Malestroms Cocktails ;)

Im not on unemployment btw...
I'm disabled with severe asthma and a spinal condition that requires epidural anti-inflammatory injections
Im not upset at the comment, I just wanted to add a little clarification. ;)

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

I wish I was drinking cocktails... it was so hot and dry I had a hard time deciding what did I have to water first.

Malestrom, I bet nobody would ever guess you might possibly have any problems. Looks like gardening is a very good therapy for you like it is for me too.

carpathiangirl,
you should water yourself first,
then open a bottle of wine or beer while watering everything-else lol!! ;)

I get so much more done that way 8D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.