Salmonella and composting

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I've just had word that the large bag of dog kibble I just purchased (an IAMS veterinary formula) has been recalled because of possible salmonella contamination at the factory. My vet says to discard it. Being a composter, I'd like to utilize the kibble for its ability to jump-start my compost-pile. My question: Will the salmonella germs be killed over the 3-4 months that my compost will take to break down? Mr. Google says that salmonella is killed at temps of 130 F or above, but my compost doesn't usually get that high, since I only toss and water it about once a month.
TIA!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Chickens, other birds, reptiles can carry salmonella. Other Manure surely has plenty to make you sick. Yet we age all this stuff and assume /hope the natural ecosystem of the pile will kill off bad things and leave good things.

For me, if I am willing to pick up fresh llama manure and age it and use it, I am willing to use dog kibble which 'may' have salmonella

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, sallyg, for your response. Come to think of it, there ARE lots of things we put into our compost heaps/bins that could carry salmonella--I'm thinking of poultry egg shells which I pop in all the time--and I haven't become ill from these. I'm going to use the "suspect kibble" and I am grateful for your advice.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You are quite welcome to my non expert, but hopefully common -sensical, opinion!
That should be very nice for the compost.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Why of course that is OK. Just keep all the goodies in a roughly ballenced mix. What some folks do wrong is dump an overload of anything on top of the pile and step back. Four weeks later they are somewhere asking why their compost is not breaking down.
All piles need to be modestly....at least...turned to get all mixed up and to keep the oxygen in the pile to help the biology live and work with ease. In that mix should be some of your local garden soil, lots of different plant parts, some manure, some trace minerals and some consistancy in a turning schedule. A pile just left to rot without ballance and turning will break down to compost but it will take much longer.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, docgipe--you've inspired me to get out there and "turn, baby, turn!" tomorrow!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Shoot what one will see without the camera handy is far richer than what one sees with camera in hand. Looking to my due East I can vision nothing but butts up and elbos moving. Spirits rising from the soil seem to seem to be uttering just two words...compost and . Comingled with this is the phrase: elbows are not good looking when they are mine. I'm not into the spirits but occasionly they appear anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.