Morning Glories 2010 #15

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

They are all beautiful. I can't pick a favorite.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Jackie,
Your Shishi botan continues to look like what I grew. It is a very prolific bloomer. I am posting a photo of mine from last year that will show you how your vine will be loaded with blooms before long.
I think I grew only 2 seeds and only got Single Blooms, and zero that were a double. I was also hoping that this would be of a demono strain. I got the seeds from a friend of mine in Japan and have more seeds that I will continue to grow to see what they will ultimately produce.

Since Shishi botan also carries the genes for the double bloom, it will have the ability to produce either. So, keep an eye on your blooms to see if you are lucky to get a double-bloom.

The Leaves are a nice Dragon-Claw Bright Green

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Thanks Becky,

I grow my crosses for sure 3-years and continue on until 5-years to be satisfied that they will stay True.

Here is another Youjiro Lilac that is the same situation as the above posted JMGs. This seed came out of a seed pack From Japan and once again, was a cross.
An Awesome Cross that produced different patterns on the same vine, most were blizzards, including this pattern with some nice heavy striations.

I am growing these out this year, but have no blooms yet to see what they will do. Shouldn't be long, however,

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

While we are on Youjiros,
This is my first bloom today on a cross from 2 years ago. Maybe 3 years ago that has remained True.
Gray Haze x Youjiro Yaguruma =
Gray Youjiro with short spokes with leaves that are from Gray Haze, Solid Green Tri-Lobed.

Since I do so many crosses throughout the year, it takes me a long time to even grow them out and this is the first time I have grown the Gray Youjiro out and was happy to see it still True.

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks everyone! It's been a real treat this year growing out some unusual and truly remarkable vines! The mutant blooms I've gotten on some of them were really a surprise! Who couldn't fall in love with these vines and blooms? No wonder I am hooked!!!

Emma - Interesting color on your Gray Haze cross. It looks like an unusual purple to me. Must be my computer monitor. Pretty neat.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Becky, so far, it looks like I will have plenty of seed pods. Waiting for them to ripen.

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

nice blooms yall.
here is a split i found this morning i hope it gives me more of the splits i like them.

Thumbnail by rh3708
Gautier, MS

Pretty blooms everyone.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Emma, I love the Shishi botan. My lvs would be pretty but the bugs jumped
on this type leaf first thing, a bug magnet. Your vine is gorgeous.

Pretty blooms Robbie and Helena

My Weird Saz that makes the striped blooms gave me 2 diff looks yesterday.
This is the normal bloom
Edited since I forgot to tell Emma I love the Lilac Youjiro and the
Gray Haze cross.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 2:22 PM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by patootie
Norfolk, VA

Becky I'm experimenting with 10 babies, 3 of them now seem to have verigated cotyledons with one haveing red on the tips.

Tony

This bloom open at the same time

Thumbnail by patootie
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow, everyone's got so many great MG's !
I'm waiting for the newly planted ones to get up there and start blooming. And a whole list of one's I want to try !

Two Sunsmile volunteer's came up, have no clue what color yet, I had lavender-, pink and purple and they were all in the same area, should know soon tho as they are setting buds.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Jackie those two blooms are cute as all get out.
Tony that is so fun watching those cots.
Emma I love your new and your older, blooms.
Robbie I love that colour, don't you? I hope you get alot of splits.
Helen, that is so pretty, that sybils dance.
MJs, I didn't know you loved morning glorys so much. I am glad.
Nicole, did you see the bloom from the seed you sent me? Thank you, it is so pretty.
( the blue ao?)

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010 11:06 PM

Debra,
I've just started growing more of them in the last couple years, when I discovered there were wayyyyy more varieties then I knew of. It's tough here too cause they really have to have afternoon shade. I even had one that get's only dappled sun, that I just let reseed it self. The JMG's seem to do better here also. But I grow sooo many different things, I just have to pick and choose on the annual vines.

Thank you Jackie and Debra
It too is VERY hot here. Wow, is it hot!
Some vines are slowing down, and others are just starting to bloom.
Heat index has been between 107 and 110

Yaguruma Youjiro

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Yaguruma with longer spokes

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Emma did you see my d-mail?

Yaguruma different vine with short, thin spokes

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Hey MJ,

No, I have not even checked and will do that now

Mesilla Park, NM

Beautiful flowers ladies, sorry I haven't been posting much, have classes during the week.

Gosh, the varieties get prettier and prettier each year.

Jackie, that is something that the light sazanami has spokes.. it doesn't have any blizzard in there, or does it and I can't see it..Of course I have one eye shut and half asleep right now.

Emma, that youjiro with the hot pink color looks good, especially with the fluffy like ruffle and subtle spokes.. looks like a Southern dress kind of.

Becky, my kai no kasumi looked nothing like the ones you guys are getting... I like yours better than mine. Mine never had any spots at all.. maybe a little of the same coloring.. did yours make seeds?

Becky, that Chocolate Blizzard is stingy with seeds.. but it is a looker, yours are F2 seeds for 2009, the crosses were made in 2007, I grew some in 2008 that looked a little like chocolate milk and some that looked like Chocolate Blizzards. Keep using your brushes and trying to get a couple of seeds. Let me know what color your seeds turn out to be also if you don't mind.

Thanks Antoinette,

I too have had some almost solid Kai no Kasumi blooms this year. These seem to be on a separate vine. Another has sporatic speckles and streaks that is very pretty, and the other vines are the regular Kai no Kasumi Speckled that are HUGE

This is one with only a few speckles and streaks

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Regular Kai no Kasumi

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Mesilla Park, NM

Maybe I need to grow some more of those seeds, I think I only grew two seeds. Those are really different, I think mind did have some streaks, but no spot at all. I'll have to find the photos and see what they were like, it has been so long, but I do remember they were not what I was expecting, a different surprise from each seed/vine, that is what is so nice about the nils all the ancestors show up for the show, just like the new grandkids, you see a little bit of everyone in their features. I don't think it produced seeds either, I'll check.

Actually, this has to be the genes because these 10 vines I am growing this year are from last year seeds grown from what I first started 3 years ago. Only one vine lived the first year which was the regular Speckled, so all of these have come from only 2 seed pods from the first year. So, I too was surprised to see them throwing these unusual blooms. They are so hard to get seeds from, at least for me, which is why I grew so many this year, but still so far zero seeds - but should, hopefully, get a few seeds. I have self-pollinated them faithfully too. The pollen is there, they just don't like to produce seeds. In fact, the last 2 years I have done numberous crosses that I am growing this year that look nothing like Kai no Kasumi

This is one of my Split-Petal Speckled Crosses from Kai no Kasumi

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Another photo of my Speckled Split

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

love the blooms yall very pretty.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Emma, I have some that are mostly white with a hint of purple speckles just like this one:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8033307

The blooms are pretty big. I will have to measure them the next time they bloom. Most of the blooms are pretty high up on the pergola so they are hard to get to for photo. No reverse tube.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2010 11:46 AM

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Nicole,
Very nice!

I'm thinking about tagging some of my blooms that are different to see how they grow out. They are pretty neat, and are also quite large.

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Thanks everyone.
A the 1st Saz has no blizzard effect. The 2nd bloom, open at the same time,
has some light streaking. Seems to me all my Saz's are starting to do some strange things now.
This bloom is coming from the Weird Saz making the Purple blooms.

Thumbnail by patootie

Lovely bloom on an orig sd of Saz Lite . The last of my orig sds.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Jackie - Your oddball Saz is really pretty! Your last one looks like the ones I have currently growing. Just solid blue, no pattern on the blooms.

Emma - Pretty Kasumi blooms and all your others as well.

Robbie - Sweet split petal bloom!

Lookin' good everyone!

No seed pods forming on any of my blooms so far. :-/ Time to fertilize! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

I've got a couple of reseeders here from last year, Rebecca climbing up a small tree in the turtle habitat.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Rebecca in the cactus garden

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Crimson Rambler and real diehard

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

close up, they sure photograph well..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is Crimson Rambler ( on left) and I. cordatotriloba (right), they both are growing in raised veggie beds climbing up one of the arbors.. In a couple of weeks the arbor should be full of pink cotton mgs.

edited to change right to left and vice-versa..

This message was edited Aug 12, 2010 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Some local strain of I. purpurea, the tri-lobed leaves on this are bigger than my hand.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I. purpurea (maybe Star of Yelta?) heart shaped leaves. Some of the stems on these are almost 2 inches in diameter. The flower pattern almost looks like the local purpurea strain, just lighter.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I almost forgot this one, I. hederacea

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here it is in the tomato bed.. they are a tad darker than what it shows on here.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.