What is wrong with my rizones?

Port Sanilac, MI

I moved some of my iris today and this is what the old rizones look like. What are these nice even looking holes?

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Remains of dead roots. That appears to be an old mother rhizome. Roots normally die each year and new ones formed.

Port Sanilac, MI

Nothing to worry about then? I had visions of each of those holes harboring some horrible bug.

Boaz, KY

I peeked in here to see what the rhizome looked like -- and then I laughed. :-D Oldgardenrose is right -- everything there is perfectly normal. The holes in the rhizome are like eyes in a potato -- it's where roots would grow out. No bugs there!! ;-) The big part in the center is the old mom which probably bloomed this past Spring. The little nubs on each side with roots of their own are the babies that are growing -- which will become blooming adults either next Spring, or the Spring after. Just replant your mom with the babies attached and let Nature take its course. Judging by the quality of the roots on those babies, you're doing a good job of taking care of your Irises!! :-)

Port Sanilac, MI

Shows all I know. Glad I have knowledgeable people to teach me. I'm kinda paranoid about my irises. Last year they were very, very bad and I thought they were goners. This year they were much better; I believe thanks to Bayer merit and fungicide. However, I obiviously have MUCH more to learn. Guess I'm in the right place.

Boaz, KY

There are two real enemies of Irises -- excessive water and Iris Borers. Avoid those and you're usually pretty much alright!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.