Attempting to stabilize a cross

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I am another person here that enjoys growing Morning Glories. I grow several a year in my garden. I am a hobby gardener and I've become interested in creating crosses by hand-pollinating blooms.

I received this interesting blooming vine from a seed I grew out. The seed came from a fellow gardener and cyberfriend, Gourd. I don't know the history of how this seed was created. It might have been open-pollination in her garden. I love how the blooms turned out on my vine and want to see if I can stabilize the future seeds to produce similar vines.

My experiment is to grow out 15 seeds that I collected from my vine and cull out any that don't carry the Blended Blue Speckles trait. My vine was probably a cross between a solid blue blooming vine and a speckled blooming vine.

Here is a collage photo of some of the blooms on this cross.

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh boy, They are looking great.

Antoinette - Those are the blooms of the seed producing vine. I am attempting to grow out 15 seeds to see what I get. Here are the 15 seed cups plus another cup with a different vine.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh becky, I love it when the cotyledons start to show up... makes me want to start now. You are so lucky to have good winter weather. I would start some, but, I really hate plants inside my house, I guess the whitefly and aphids creep me out when they are inside and gnats, etc..

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Yikes! Pretty but odd. Do you think it's a hybrid or a chimera?

It's currently a cross with the hopes of becoming a stable hybrid. I am a fan of speckled blooms!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Good luck. It sure is pretty.

Mesilla Park, NM

I agree, very pretty! Which stage are these in, F2's or F3's now? I forget how many you have grown.

Thanks, RickCorey!

Antoinette - Actually I am only at the F1 stage. I am waiting (hoping) to get some seeds from the current 4 grow-outs. So far, only one seed pod from a parent clone look-alike.

Here is the F1 look-alike blooms.

Here is a bloom from another vine of the F1 grow-out. Different looking bloom.

This is yet another of 4 vines that germinated from the F1 seeds. This has the lighter blue speckled blooms.

And the forth and final F1 vine had a slightly speckled bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.