Does 'Maui Sunshine' fade out?

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

We just had a 'Maui Sunshine' delivered to the garden center where I work. It had two older flowers on it. They were a cream color ( almost like 'Sunrise'). I thought it must have been mislabeled. A new flower is opening, and it is very yellow. So, it must be 'Maui Sunshine' after all. I thought I wanted to add one to my coneflower collection, but if the flowers fade that much I'm not sure. We are having a 40% off sale on perennials, and with my discount...I would hate to pass up a gallon sized plant at that price. Any advice or experience with this plant would be appreciated.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Sometimes Echinacea blooms fade or don't develop the proper color in shipping. I think it has something to do with the blooms opening in the trucks or storage. I don't think these will fade that much...At least the one I have didn't.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Agreed. The shipping of plants definitely alters the coloration on many types of flowers. The "Maui Sunshine" blooms do not change much in color from beginning to end on my plants either.

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

I just got home from work at the garden center. It was hot. Luckily, there was a breeze. It made it bearable. The 'Maui Sunshine' plant came from our main location, which is on the other side of town. So, it was probably on the truck for only an hour. Otherwise it's been growing there all season. We get all our perennials from a grower near Milwaukee, which is about 1 1/2 hours away.Maybe the flowers that I saw were really old flowers. I do like the color of the flower that is open. I'm looking for another yellow coneflower. I have 'Now Cheesier', which has really nice yellow (with a tint of orange) flowers. It holds it's color for a long time.

I did take this photo of one of my "Maui Sunshine" Echies on Sunday and you're right. It did fade a bit when I compare it to the newest bloom in the photo. They're still yellow blooms, but a bit lighter.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the picture amorecuore. That gives me a good idea what to expect. Thanks everyone else for your input. I work today and may have to buy it. I put in a new coneflower bed about a month ago. It has 12 different coneflowers in it. It has room for several more. I do want to wait and see what comes out next year. This coneflower thing has been very addicting.

I can relate to that. Been patiently waiting for any information regarding next years new varieties, but haven't run across any information yet. Hoping there will be something completely different and new looking like "Strawberry Shortcake". This is one I would definitely like to try.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I want that one too, Jon.

If 'Pineapple Sundae' grows as well as 'Hot Papaya' that will be a must have plant too!

My 'Marmalade' is getting ready to bloom. I think that one is a winner as well.

'Flame Thrower' has proven to be one of the longest blooming Echinacea of all of the varieties this year. The blooms last forever and I don't have to deadhead it at all. It's also a tough plant. All the ones I bought are growing well.

I'm kind of "neutral' on Marmalade" right now. The late spring blooms had great coloration. The current blooms are a faded out pinkish/orange color. There are new photos of it on greatgardenplants website that are more reflective of the range of bloom color you can receive. I'm starting to think the coloration is going to be inconsistent in the South.

Flame Thrower is still doing well and putting out nice long lasting blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.