August Orchids

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080256673 The internet is amazing! Hope this helps. And yes, orchid hybrids are patented all the time.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

wow! Thanks! That's quite a bit of info for my little brain that's already crammed full of iris stuff.... LOL!!!

Thumbnail by naomimade
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! Thanks for the links,Laurel! I just bought a Vuyl. from Gubler at Lowes this morning. I was tempted by another, but it didn't have a tag. If I can Id. it from the site, I may have to go back and get it.

And, before I found that link Carol, I mowed an acre of grass on three terraces, picked loads of tomatoes, okra, beans peppers, eggplants and basil then cleaned and vacuumed at Maypop, made caponata, packed the car and got back to Atlanta an hour ago. Unpacked the produce and did orchid patrol. Whew, I'm pooped!

I've got a Brassavola nodosa that's getting ready to bloom. Odd time of year for it (I think). Anyone have blooms at this time? I acquired a Haraella http://www.orchidspecies.com/haerodorata.htm last April. She's been living on the ledge of the bathtub, in a giant brandy snifter, on a bed of live moss. Been watching a teensy thread turn into a thread with a knob and now the knob is getting bigger. A flower is coming!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Congratulations on your pending blooms! Sounds like break time. No luck on the Gubler site. I think I saw the flower but no Id. Oh well, I really don't NEED another large orchid...

LOL!! sorry but I have to laugh... I really needed the 80 more irises I bought this year... or was it more... LOL!!!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is Brassavola David Sander.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

That's a beauty, Jim. Where did you get David Sander from? I've got a young Brassavola cuculata I've been praying over for Fall blooms. I've also had a more mature digbyana for two years and every new lead has had rot. Despite repeated treatment and major amputation I'm down to two leads. It's looking terminal.

Naomi, perhaps you didn't need eighty, or more, irises but orchids...well that's different. lol

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, I bought it at The Tampa Orchid Show about 4 years ago. I think the vender was Plantio La Orquidea out of Sarasota.

Jim

They are supposed to be terrific vendors with lots of recommends. Maybe if I make it to Redlands next show I'll get to meet them. They've not come to the Atlanta show.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

They are the best of the lot at the Tampa show. If you ever come back from Miami via I75, I could meet you in Sarasota at their place. Just something to think about.

I did receive my Stanhopea nigroviolacea from Woodland Orchids and am very pleased. Thanks for the tip.

Since you started this thread with your blue ribbon winner Asc. Crownfox 'Golden Dawn', I'll post mine here at the end of the month.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

And you're such a better photographer! I'm glad the recommend worked out. I can't think of Woodlands without recalling her lecture intro, "It's Stan-hope-a folks not Stan-hope-ea". The guy's name was Stanhope." Okay, so we'll wait for the photo.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here it is in its new basket.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Really nice big plant. You'd never know about the awful winter you had last year from the looks of the yard. We are enjoying a mild day at Maypop but I'm missing the orchids. Orchid cams would be neat. A black widow visited.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Not all that fond of Black Widows and thankfully, they are rare here.

How about an Apopka vanda to scratch your orchid itch. It just opened yesterday and it is a first time bloomer for me. Here is V. Bitz's Heartthrob X V. Simirun.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And another one. This is Vanda Princess blue X Kasem's Delight.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

One more, just to make sure that itch goes away. Vanda Boonchoo X V. Kasem's Delight.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

You're the Vanda Man. This is the Encyclia plug I got at Krull Smith. Can't believe it's blooming! The blooms are gorgeous, long lasting and smell like cherry cough syrup. Cloying actually. It looks like an Encyclia alata cross but only has a number. Jim Krull was waiting for the tags from the Hawaiian grower. Need to contact him.

north coast nsw, Australia

a BLACK WIDOW..RED BACK SPIDER. Don't get bitten, they reckon its the worst pain ever.

Well, that's nothing Bree. My hound loves to kill and deliver copperheads.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yow! I think I'll stay inside the rest of the day. Besides, it's pouring rain again. Some of my plants and weeds are getting out of hand but it's too hot and wet to do much.

Spathoglottis picatta that Laurel made me buy. (she was right)

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I could maybe find a new career as a personal orchid shopper? That would be incredibly fun. Bring on the deep pockets. lol Do you have the Spath. in ground, Jim? What was I right about? Buy that one? You're such a push over.

I've been lazy about photos and posting lately. I know that's what the monthly threads are about and what folks mostly want to see. I did want to thank those who have added to the thread. My subscription is about to run out and I will renew. I think this is the best site for gardening on the web. That said, I've got a busy few days and the orchids are having a lull. If someone will start us off for the September thread that would be great.
Laurel

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, you told me to buy that one because it went so well with this one. I put them both in one big pot under an oak tree. They do look good together.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Oh gosh, right. Now I remember. I loved that the colors seemed in reverse. Can you do a photo that shows the flowers together?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Maybe tomorrow. Huge thunderstorm now. Patty is in Peru so I am here alone. I'm too little to be left alone in a storm like this! LOL

Jim

Grief Jim, that's pitiful. I am however laughing like crazy. Off to the garden to watch moonflowers and luna moths. We had cottage stay guests this weekend and they requested all catered meals. I'm totally exhausted.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just fixed and ate a large portobella mushroom stuffed with crab meat and topped with a tomato slice and provalone cheese, Naan Indian bread heated in olive oil and a fresh avocado from my tree. Washed it down with a 2008 Chateau St. Jean chardonnay and will manage to make it through this storm. It has already let up and by looking at the pool, we got just shy of 3 inches of rain since 2:00 PM. I know this is rainy season but good grief! I may have to take the boat around to dead head roses tomorrow.

Jim

Jim, your Italian/Indian/French/tropical fusion menu is intriguing. However, saying you "fixed" something for dinner is so uniquely Southern. I remember early on when I asked a new Southern friend if something had burned and that was why she had to "fix" it. Will be back with the orchids tomorrow and hoping something is popping. I'm in a flower funk and relying on others posts.
Laurel

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The school buses are out clogging traffic so it must be September. Time for the new thread. We're going to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126568/

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow! Laurel was right! Those are pretty together!
Carol

Gotta come over to the new thread Carol. I won't complain if you mention I was right twice either. lol

Maypop, been out of town for a long weekend in Las Vegas... My husband keeps trying to talk me into moving to Florida so that I can 'trade in' my irises for orchids...

Hi Naomi. Your secret about Vegas is safe with us. Welcome home. We've moved over to the September thread that Jim started. See you there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.