August Orchids

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A bit late but here I am. Asc. Crownfox 'Golden Dawn'.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

This was a gift from my DG friend, and fellow orchid enthusiast, Hawkarica. Here is the plant.

Orlando, FL

WOW!!! Gorgeous color!!! LOVE IT!!

:) Thanks Loco. It's pretty flashy.

Miami neighbor gifted this orchid as a few bare Dendrobium canes that I mounted a year ago Nov..

A NOID, maybe Miltassia?

'nother shot.

My orchids outside in August.

north coast nsw, Australia

Nice lush looking cymbidiums Maypoplaurel. I don't have many new flowers and Leeanum twins just aren't facing the same way.

Thumbnail by breeindy

closer

Thumbnail by breeindy

Insigne twins still going but getting faded.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Vandas been flowering for months.

Thumbnail by breeindy

and i love invinsible

Thumbnail by breeindy

Cleisostoma sagittatum. Very tiny flowers and plant.

Bree, Cymbidiums seem to be very happy on the decks in this ridiculous heat. We'll see what they do come winter. Several of them retired here to the South from New England.

Yeah mine are in full sun almost and all flowering or just finished. And i didnt move them come winter and they'll loving it.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Asc. Crownfox 'Golden Dawn' looks great, Laurel, and your posting put a smile on my face. I posted it in bloom last April so it looks like you can expect several blooms per year.

Here is Rhynochostylis retusa.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I tried to get a view from farther back but my lens kept fogging up. The humidity here is off the charts.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I probably wouldn't have enough heat or light to get it to bloom twice, Jim but I'm glad it made you smile. Hoping you have an even bigger smile when you see this photo.

BTW, the Rhynchostylis is a beauty! I used to have it in another orchid life, but never as gorgeous as yours.

Here's a Degarmoara 'Sky Walker' HCC/AOS on the way out bloom-wise. It was a cheapy rescue from two years ago and had only a few flowers this year.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I feel like a proud papa. Congrats!! Nice color on Sky Walker.

Here is Blc Magic Meadows 'Napoleon' X Blc Chunyeah 'TW'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Nice, Jim. My one Cat in bud (a double) had one of the buds sawed off. It was the Bl. Richard Mueller x aclandiae I got on the first Apopka trip.

Three people came from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens yesterday to hike around Maypop. They were looking for Platanthera integrilabia (monkey face orchids) http://www.flickr.com/photos/frogdr/3782804965/. They didn't find any, but found other orchids that are associated with their habitat. They will monitor the property for what might be rare trilliums, ferns and other orchids. It was a fun and educational experience. They left their field guide here and I've been busy wearing out the pages before returning it.

paph liemianum x concolor

Thumbnail by breeindy

paph primcolor

Thumbnail by breeindy

got this paph fairrieanum x victoria-regina sent in the mail, one flower was past it but the other buds might open.

Thumbnail by breeindy

the flower i cut off.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Bl. Richard Muellar x C. aclandiae. This is the orchid that had two buds but one disappeared overnight. The flowers become darker yellow each day. It's still young in my collection. I'd love to see it with a bunch of flowers.

bud opened..yeah!

Thumbnail by breeindy

love it

Thumbnail by breeindy

liem. x concolor now open

Thumbnail by breeindy

and primcolor

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice paph show, Bree. You do so well with them.

Laurel, love the Richard Muellar cross and those big red pouty lips.

Let me post my Stanhopeas here. This is Stanhopea wardii:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And the cluster:

JIm

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Then there is Stanhopea oculatta:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

thanks jim, you do pretty well with stanopeas also.

Bree, great job on the Paphs. as usual. You, Janice and Todd have the magic touch with slippers.

Jim, I have the tiniest Stanhopea wardii in a 2" pot. It's put out lots of new growth this summer but I keep asking myself why I did that. Will I live to see it bloom? I'll have to settle for enjoying yours.

The Prosthechea cochleata is still blooming sequentially from the same spikes since last November. There are new leads starting and I wonder if they'll pick up when these quit. The pbs are packed so tightly that some of the new leaf growth is getting smashed trying to emerge. I hope they straighten out. Anyone had this problem?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

This morning an orchid that I bought last year was discovered to be in full bloom. I never thought it would bloom again after I bought it... I now own 2! &:-) A 'moth' orchid I bought years ago and this one... I loved the flowers. They're SO wierd! I call it the 'predator' orchid. The tag doesn't really have a name, it just says 'intergenetic'....?

I found the bloom spike on it last month....

Thumbnail by naomimade

And here it is today..

Thumbnail by naomimade

ok, one more pic. &:-D

Thumbnail by naomimade

Thanks for sharing. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding intergenerics, but here is a site and Google intergeneric (not genetic) orchids. http://www.gublers.com/Pages/Orchid%20Tabs/intergeneric.html There's lots of info out there though you won't know exactly what you have. They are basically crosses of several related orchids, thus the name means "between genera". I have a few, such as the questionable Miltasssia posted at the beginning of this thread and the Degarmoara posted on August 10th. It does seem to be their season. I have another named Miltassia that blooms more into Fall. Since most are Oncidium relatives I made the mistake early on of giving them too much sun and not enough water. My experience since then is that they prefer indirect light and not to dry out. They don't like soggy growing medium either and should be potted as soon as they finish blooming.
Laurel

This message was edited Aug 22, 2010 9:07 PM

wow nice. Looks like a miltassia (miltonia x brassia), not sure which though.

I found the tag! It says Y445 Exotic orchid 'White Knight'
patent process initiated...? A patented orchid?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.