Versicolor seeds

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Seeds harvested from an iris identified as versicolor. The pod was still green but beginning to split open on the end. The seeds were tightly packed in three segments of the pod hence the irregular shape. I would like to plant some of these and give some away if anyone wants them. These are the pale blue version of blue flag. I was wondering if they required any special treatment for planting or just plant and forget them.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Closeup.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I sew them into a piece of pantyhose with some marbles for weight. Then drop them in the toilet tank and leave them there for ? weeks. Then soak them with some hydrogen peroxide for ?, rinse well and put them in a ziploc bag and put them in the refrigerator for ? This enable germination to occur quickly and you get better germination percentage wise. I found this info quite awhile ago by Googling Japanese iris germination. here's the address.
cdn-iris.ca/seeds.html

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks a lot. I found the site and saved it to favorites for future reference. Needs to be listed as:

http://www.cdn-iris.ca/seeds.html

There is also a wealth of iris information here if you select the articles list. I just read a couple of articles about alfalfa pellets and teas for iris nourishment. There were some questions about this subject on another recent thread.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 7:58 PM

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I tried this method with several different types of iris seeds. I especially like the surprises that I get from seeds gathered when visiting friends gardens and roadside rest areas. I have currently seeds from last winter's germination that I planted in May. Baby Sister, Caesar's Brother, Unknown Siberian from Roadside Rest Area, Dana Borglum's Seneca Midnight Blues, and Sylvia's Love. In two years I should have a lot of surprises.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I got to see Mittsy's seedlings in person, and wow, does her method work! I'm hoping she gets some great siberians, and can do some intros.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is the link to another thread that discusses starting iris seeds. I included in this thread a description and pictures of the method I have been using for the past couple of years.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067922/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.