light

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a Lilac growing - or not growing - under a very shady tree. With out moving it, the plant will never have a chance to grow , and I will never be able to move it. My question is, would be possible to use grow lights outside? Are grow lights the same thing as any other lights? Any recomendations will be appreciated. Thank you.

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

Should work. Your neighbors may think you are crazy, but light is light.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

It depends on just how crazy you want to be seen as by your neighbors. My neighbors know I am crazy so it wouldn't surprise them. You might want to consider rooting a bunch of cuttings from it to start a new bush in a better spot and just leave the old one on its own or cut it out once you have a new bush established. This way you can have better growing conditions for the new bush, not have to worry about moving the old one and your light bill won't go up from running grow lights outdoors everyday.

Frank

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

What kind of bulb is used in grow lights? Is it the same kind of bulb that I put in my livingroom lamp? Does it have to be a certain wattage?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Most hardware and home improvement stores sell plant light bulbs. They look like a regular flood light bulb but have a special coating inside of them that produces the correct wavelengths of light for growing plants. They are also made in standard shape light bulbs and flourescent tubes in addition to spot and flood light bulbs.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you. I will talk it over with someone at the hardware store. I care more for the Lilac than I do for what the neighbors might think!! The outdoor outlet is just a few feet from the plant so this won't be such a big job after all. Dave's Garden makes it so much easier to learn things.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Grow lights can be quite expensive. When I'm starting plants (OK, hostas) from seed, I use regular flourescent lights. By using one Cool White and one Warm White bulb together, it gives the full light spectrum (I've been told). In any case, it works very well and is much cheaper than the grow lights.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Mable, I was wondering . . . could you limb up the shade tree? A lot of times, even sun plants can get by with bright indirect light, albeit with fewer flowers. Great idea, too, about taking a cutting and planting that in a better area!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.