Relocating to NE from Deep South

Houma, LA

Hello everyone,

Found out recently that our family will be relocating to NY. A little "village" called Horseheads. I am going to experience culture shock, weather shock and gardening shock. I have nothing but tropicals here and am anticipating having to sell and give away everything I have here. I am having to come to terms with that idea. What do you all grow on planet NE?

Dorothy

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Dorothy! That certainly will be a major change. Get used to snow! Those who live in that area will be better able to tell you what they grow, but there is a LOT. Tropicals are only for summer and indoors, of course.

Being Italian, I would hate to live in a place called Horseheads!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh that's a nice area up by Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes area
Welcome to the NE we're a friendly bunch.

My friend is from Lafayette, LA.... have you lived in LA all your life?

Check out our daily pics on this thread....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118651/

Houma, LA

Thanks for the welcome. Will be traveling there soon to see the planet. Also looking at Corning and Elmira. Doing research on what to expect. Horseheads is a funny name victorgardener. I just think about the scene from The Godfather. Flowerjen, I was born and raised in New Orleans but moved to North Carolina for about 8 years with my Army husband. We moved to Houma 4 years ago when my husband got out and got a job here in the oilfield.

Checked out the pics. I guess I can dig up my daylilies to bring with me.

Dorothy

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to the Northeast Dorothy! When are you packing up? You certainly can bring ypur DLs with you. Also you can grow tropicals in pots inside and bring them out in the summer like Victor said. You will also be able to grow a few things that maybe don't grow so well down south like fall bulbs and lupin. If you move in the next few months you will have the winter to get up to speed with plants that do well up here. You will be cold at first but will get used to it and complain about heat and humidity in the summer like all of us do. Welcome and good luck on your new adventure.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Is Horseheads near the PA border? I love upstate NY, the changing seasons, even the snow when I'm not driving in it! Welcome!

Thomaston, CT

Hi Dorothy....what a big change for you! Indoor gardening only in the wintertime, but you'll be able to grow some great plants during the summer....we've had a very hot & humid summer, so most of us will be welcoming the crisper days of fall, changing colors of leaves, pumpkins & gourds, cider & woodsmoke....you'll love it up here.

South Hamilton, MA

Do you have hosta that far south. Can certainly bring them.

Houma, LA

I am looking forward to planting bulbs that don't do well here. I do love starting from seeds too. I will take cuttings of my plumerias and I do have a large collection of adenium seedlings and grafts. I am hoping I can bring my greenhouse with me so I don't miss a beat with my tropicals. I have a 4 yr old son and I am sure he is going to enjoy all the seasons.

Yes debilu, it is near the PA border.

Dorothy

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Dorothy!
Welcome!
My hibiscus do well indoors in the winter. I keep them watered and fed and they bloom all winter. I am also keeping two alive at our public library. I also have bougainvillea and bird of paradise, though the BOP has never bloomed but the bougie has. I live near Boston. My tropicals, such as they are, and houseplants go out in May on their vacation shelves and under my trees. They come back in at the end of Sept. I usually have to prune the hibiscus back so they fit back in. Ditto the bougie. Tropicals can be done here. That you may have a greenhouse makes me totally envious.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Yes, a GH will make you forget the snow. Pack it with winterblooming tropicals.

Hi Dorothy, You have 4 seasons up here. Spring every thing comes to life, Summer every thing lives, Fall everything starts to slow down and shrivel up and Winter - depends how you like the snow. Myself I have no use for winter, none notta 1 liking. Well after it snows everything is nice and clean and fresh looking.

GH unless you have tons of money and want to heat it, dont plan to start it till March or April. Your going to be close to PA so possibly March you might get away without heating.

I dont have a ton of brains when it comes to flowers as I have only been doing them 3 years and last year threw the towel in after blight got my tomatoes. So as far as veggies and a GH, I might possibly be able to help.

Flowers there is good people here to answer your questions.

Welcome aboard!

Sherrie

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Welcome Dorothy! You are in for a shock if you've never lived in the North before, but it really is beautiful here with 4 seasons. ^_^
As for your daylilies....the sooner you bring them and the sooner they are planted, the better chance they will have to adapt. However, I am assumming alot of yours are evergreens and they will not like the cold. You may loose a few......

South Hamilton, MA

We tend to grow dormant DL. Yours will adapt with snow cover, but be prepared for 'spring sickness' appearance until the recover during the spring.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Dorothy! Welcome to the beautiful northeast from another transplanted southerner. After you get used to a few road signs that will make you scratch your head (like "frost heave"......that one took me years to figure out!) (After 30 years, I now know to slow down because there are bumps ahead caused by the freezing of the ground under the pavement.) LOL Seriously, the area you are moving to is really nice - the people are genuine and friendly and it is a geographically beautiful area. We have a few gems on this forum from that general area. I, too, lived in NC for several years (raised in south Florida), and I first saw snow in NC during college. You are in for a bit more snow in NY, but it is beautiful and your 4-year-old will love playing in it. I am excited for you, and I think you will enjoy the broad range of plants - especially perennials - that you can't grow in the south. Good luck with the move and keep in touch!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.