What's happening to our wildlife? Sad.................

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

A friend had shown me a video of this doe, and told me where and when I might find her. Unfortunately she and I found each other at the same instant, and from fairly close quarters. She spooked, so I was only able to get quick shots as she bolted. This doe has to be uncomfortable! I'm so sad for her.
Other than cropping, the photo is unretouched.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What are those things on her?

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Tumors.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is really awful. Sure hope it isn't widespread. Or contagious.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Deer overpopulation and lack of natural predation, likely encouraged by regional legislation favouring deer numbers for hunting purposes. Need some Wolves!

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Agreed! I'm going back now to see if I can get some better photos.

This doe is very small, not much larger than a fawn of about 3 months. She sure doesn't have much going for her, poor thing.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

There's no lack of predation here. We have a HUGE cougar population, and they often prey on our pets. There's also CARS! Never do I drive this mountain w/o seeing several roadkill.

Wolves? I could deal with that. They were here at least until mid 20th century. They are moving in now from Idaho/Montana, but it'll likely be awhile before they get this far west.

Trouble is Cougars - being surprise predators - are less selective. They'll take any deer that happens by chance to come too close. Cars are even less selective. Wolves by contrast are run-after predators, that chase prey and cull out the weakest, easiest to catch.

Resin

Sandusky, OH

I would take a look at some roadside deer to see if they have any of these tumors also...hopefully this is the only one...yes looks pretty uncomfortable.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

There is another possibility: Bot flies also called Warbles. I'd contact the local Wildlife Department and see what they have to say.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

They likely are aware. This doe was filmed right next to the local Ranger Station.

I've gone back several times in the hopes of seeing her again, but only saw her the one time. I suspect she is gone.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes I am sure the Wildlife department is aware of it - it is pretty obvious isn't it? But it could be tumors, cysts, or parasites. I thought you ought to contact the Wildlife people so they could tell you what it is, and what is causing it, and if it is contagious.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

The problem is called fibroma, and it is highly contagious in bucks, but it's also self curing. This is the first known doe with the problem.

Found a useful website about it: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26637--,00.html

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Resin! I'm always interested in learning more about nature, and it's wonderful to know it's not a serious problem/threat.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good to know that it isn't as bad to their health as it is to their looks ;-}

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's amazing what you can learn from others. I wonder if it will show up in Iowa someday. I agree with Resin, the weak need to be culled. I wouldn't like to have to worry about a wolf attack, but it is less likely than a cougar attack.

Oskaloosa, KS(Zone 6a)

We got this pic on a trail came this year. We have been wondering what the spots are. Wonder if it's fibroma?

Thumbnail by Redrock069
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, it looks almost like gunshots. Perhaps she got tangled in barbed wire?
I don't know what fibroma looks like in the early stages. Sorry I can't be more help.
Sorry for the delinquent response. haven't visited DG much since ealy summer. Been spending my time outside. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.