What is your 2010 favorite Combo

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the latest view of my deck

Thumbnail by ge1836
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Ge, what is the small vine spilling from your pots? it is so cute!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Love the coleus and the pots ge. Do you know the name of the red bloom? is that firecracker or something like that?

Cathy I usually lift the tubers in my personal pots, I will lift these also. I have different degrees of luck the following year from the tubers, does any one else have any experience with that?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cathy4 The spiller is Mezoo.Dont ask for the latin.Its some kind of succulent and it roots easily. It is soooo lovely I am growing 6 cuttings this winter.
happgarden! The red blooms are Cigar Flower.
http://www.naturehills.com/product/livingstone_daisy_mezoo_trailing_red.aspx

This message was edited Sep 29, 2010 12:42 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1338/
ge, Plant Files says Cigar Flower, firecracker vine, and candy corn vine.
Is yours a viney type plant? I love the blooms and bet the hummers do also.

Thank you for comments on the city planter, I think next year I want to do BRIGHT colors. I must of been in a quiet mode when I picked the plants for it this year...rofl. I am not normally a dark plant person, but the last couple of years I have noticed I have moved more that direction. Strange.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Happ, mine is a plant and the bloom look likr little red cigars with the ends lite.
I'll see if I have a closeup.
LOL I responde to moode too. Your choices were great.Just remember there isnt anything better than your first idea.Every idea after that is just a "different" idea, not right or wrong.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing the pics everyone....greetings from a newbie here in Ontario Canada. All the pics look so lovely and inspiring. They sure gave me ideas for next year.

Mick

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold February morning so I found this thread to give me inspiration for the warm days ahead.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Caladium Bill is to thank for this beauty. Of course I forgot the name. This in an old galvanized tub

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am wishing for the thaw too.
I love Bills caladiums.
Miss Muffet

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy - That's Brandywine

We are buried in snow and ice, these pictures keep me going knowing spring will come eventually. Thanks for sharing. Bill, my caladiums (from you) were the best ever last summer.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love tropicals in a northern garden.
There is dripping off my roof so I know there is thawing going on.
I have been looking to see if the average daily temps are going up.Not much.
When I am outside the sun feels warmer.No migrating birds yet. Redwings are first,no sighn of them.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Bill,
Guess you're getting ready for a busy season. I wish coops were easier like the good old days. I would love to host a caladium coop but I wouldn't want to offer them from any other source.

Brandywine is a stunning caladium and I may go that route again this year. Just love those HUGE leaves. I think a pot of one packed full color really catches the eye. The impact is WOW !

Kathy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had planted a few clems in containres last spring.
By July I could only find 3 that were still going.
It occurred to me to transplant as soon as the container soil was thawed.
Yesterday the soil was too stiff.
Good thing these clems were marked with growers little stake.
I was disparing of Kilan Donehue yesterday and was told clems sometimes take a time out.
Surprised and thrilled to see a live sprout. I still have to move the plant as its in a clay planter. The fiber planters dont crack when left out all winter.
I sound like I am rambling and the last post dealt with Caladiums but just had to express how happy I am.
Ita hard to choose a favorite combination but here is another one of mine.
Coleus Fiesta and Trailing Red

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Nice combo, Jo Ann. Glad to hear you're happy. You can always drench the soil with warm water a few days before you plant the clematis in a pot. Have fun.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Was the source to purchase the Mahogony Giant Coleus mentioned or did I miss it?That with the caladium is breath taking! Thanks for sharing. I just remembered I got a catalogue from some caladium growing co. in Fla. this week. Guess it's in the pile to be read/looked at. Thanks for the reminder; will see if it is in there.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Mahogany Giant came from Rosey Dawn. Calasiums from Caladiums 4 less.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pippi, thank you! My Mahogany Giant coleus came from cuttings from a friend, and the caladiums came from Ednie. They were absolutely huge. I see Rosy dawn carries the Mahogany Giant coleus still.

Just did a internet search and it showed Rose Dawn Gardens is the only vendor that sells it. The coleus and caladium are shade lovers, right?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I had my combo in part shade. No direct sunlight, but pretty bright.

Who's Caladium Bill or where is Bill's caladiums located? Is this a internet company or DG member?

DG member Bill, who has his own caladium company named Caladium Bulbs 4 Less: http://www.caladiumbulbs4less.com/servlet/StoreFront

He's in the Garden Watchdog top 5:
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5978/

Bill is a member from Florida, you can find him in the marketplace: http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/10377/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Love his bulbs

Bill is terrific and so are his caladiums. This is Miss Muffet, Pippi.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dayton, OH

Very pretty picture. Pirl

Thanks, rosey.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl, that is stunning! I love that combo. Do you have pictures of your beds verses just close ups? I've got a few things that need redone and need fresh ideas. Yesterday in the rose beds really bummed me out. Oh so much loss.
Kathy

Kathy - Do you need sun or shade ideas?

I change plants often so I seem to have either close up photos or long distance shots.

Astilbe have been divided and daylilies moved since I took this photo.

Behind Petals is 'Lady in Red' hydrangea. The cuttings root so easily.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Pirl
You opened that one up - how about a cutting of Lady in Red - LOL shipping and a trade?

I'm 90 % sun. I have several trellis to make with copper and we did lots of mulch today (enjoying 62 degrees for the past 2 days).

I really need plants to fill in gaps below roses/clematis or the like. Something that will hold true most of the summer. I have beds that are not mulched but are a mix match but need low growing, full spring/summer coverage. I move stuff around so much.

The bed I have a problem with is on slant. I have a few small evergreens, a few roses/clematis, an orange butterfly WEED (not bush) and bulbs but need something, full sun, that carries the low growth to cover up as many weeds as possible. Do they make such a thing? If I mulched my beds I would be broke. I guess I need a new perspective on those beds.

Over the last 2 years I've cut out almost all iris, daylilies and anything that leaves a mess when not at top speed. I have no patience so it's all or nothing for me.

I'm so tired right now that I can barely type, let alone think. It will all be brighter in the morning...........except for more rain for the next 3 days.

Thanks for the RAMBLE

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know when Lady In Red was intro'd but watch your plant patents. I don't want to get into the discussion about how it's OK to do it in your backyard, of course it's not, but the plant police probably aren't coming knocking. But try to do it privately at least, to be safe.

Thank you, Polly. I bought it in '05 but don't know when it was introduced.

Edited to add: Introduced 2002 by Dirr.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 8:56 PM

Kathy - how about Angelina sedum mixed with ajuga though the ajuga is a very strong grower and could overpower the sedum but hasn't done it...yet, here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.