Worms doing well in the heat

Collierville, TN(Zone 7b)

i am in my 3rd yr of raising worms. this year they have spent the summer outside under the rabbit cages. we have been having highs around 100 and lows around 80. they get a little sprinkling of water about 5 times a week. they are kept in two 30 inch plastic bins with loose fitting lids. i was impressed, about 10 days ago i fed about 3/4 of the rind of a large watermellon sliced into 2 inch wedges and as of today its all gone!

also i read today that plants don't need much vermicompost -a little goes a long way.
cheers to all!

Front Royal, VA

Are the plastic bins above ground in shade? Do you have ventilation holes in the bins? I also have had my worms survive in 112 degree heat (on thermometer) but had to move my worms from plastic bins as the temperatures were getting to 90 degrees or more and I did not want to chance losing them. In soil, temperature was about 87 degrees.

Thumbnail by sludgebuster
Collierville, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes the plastic bin are in deep shade, one has the loose fitting lid and the other has the snap-on type with a crack on it for air. I opened the lids just about every day to get more air in them and to add a sprinkling of water. We had an especially HOT and humid summer here and has since cooled off nicely. Memphis TN had about 7 days in August when the air temperature was 100-104.

seperate note: around Aug 10th I added a few ounces of rabbit urine to the worm bins and this probably was a mistake. I observed lots of worms trying to escape but they have since settled down. There are still lots of worms in both bins. I will bring them in an attached garage room around Nov 7th for the winter. -The same room they spent the last few winters in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.