Tarp or not to tarp...Hmmmmm

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

You all have really inspired us and we are already preparing for next year. We had a fatal mishap early in the season this year maybe caused by winter road maintenance close to the store we bought the bales from. Anyway, we will be getting more bales for next year from a farmer shortly. I am in zone 5 and I am wondering if we can set them up when we get them or keep them covered in the spring? Will they break down too much through the winter months? Should we set them up and loosely tarp them? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks so much,

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Connie.

I hope you get something from maybe Kent and Suz. I think they both would have opinions about this. See, tho, the problem is, everybody's climates are different in all parts of the country so it is hard to tell people what to do in this area.

I hope you get some sugestions. It might make a difference if you get hay or straw too. One might break down, "prepare" faster one way than the other. For instance. I had a bale of hay I did not do anything to last year, it just didn't get put in the hoophouse 'cause Bob had a back problem, so it was out in the weather all winter. It was really loose and I don't think I would have been able to plant in it. HOWEVER, it was awful orchard grass hay. Alfalfa might not do that.

I ended up planting in last years bales that were pretty much decomposed and used a lot of potting soil and then used that last bale I talked about to put on top, around the plants to hold the moisture in.

Wake Forest, NC

Connie, if you're going to be moving those bales next year, just make sure they are covered good from the rain/snow, etc. and off the ground, if possible, or at least on some plastic to keep from wicking up ground moisture.

The key is just keep'em as dry as possible until you're ready to move them.

Because I'm putting my straw in some raised beds, mine are sitting out now until next Spring. I want mine to get soft and I'll just use a wheelbarrow to move them into my beds.

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Kent, will they be ready to plant in if she does that? I think she was hoping they would be prepped already from the weather.

Connie, what Kent is saying is that if they are out to the elements over the winter, they probably would be impossible to move into position where you want them, too heavy, and also, they may be too decomposed to last a planting season. Plus they may fall apart when you try to put them where you want them.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

If it would have worked, we were looking at placing them where we want them so they wouldn't have to be moved next spring. I didn't know if we could tarp them over the winter and uncover early spring. I do see the problem with the moisture being soaked up from the ground.

We can store them stacked on a carport for the winter and just move them early spring to start the process. Just tell me that won't catch on fire lol!!

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

How many are we talking about Connie? I don't know about catching on fire. I doubt it, but Kent would know more about that than I. What about all of the hay stored in barns? They don't catch on fire. Every barn around here stocks up on hay and is full to the top by the end of summer after hay is baled. I doubt that would be an issue.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

We are looking at around 20 bales. They would have to stack up against vinyl siding on the carport. We have had some barn fires due to bales heating up. Don't want to accidentally catch something on fire HA! WOULD NOT BE GOOD!!!

Connie

This message was edited Aug 9, 2010 1:43 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That is interesting. I have never heard of any barn fires around here. Did you ever get to Suz? Wonder where she is.

Wake Forest, NC

I personally wouldn't store that much flammable material next to my house.

The only reason hay/straw would spontaneous combust is if it gets damp/wet, is packed tightly with little airflow which allows for the heat build up to reach a critical point.

Just find a spot out in your yard for the 20 bales. Stack'em up and put a good tarp over them and you'll be fine.

Some of the bottom straw will get a little wet but it won't be a big deal, and when it comes time for you to place them for your garden, they'll be fine.

I saw a round bale on fire in a field once.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Kent, I think you hit on it. If the farmer isn't letting the hay dry enough in the field then it is going to be moist. Guess that is why these big barns (pole barns) are stacked with so much hay and no problems.

The one I am thinking of specifically has 5 huge barns he fills every year and sells to others. I have even seen the long flatbed trucks in there loading up with big forklifts. That guy must know when to bale that hay.

Also, some of his barns have both ends open, one has no walls, just poles and a roof. He also uses tarps on the end where the weather comes from. Guess he knows what he is doing.

Think Kent is right Connie. Put them somewhere else with a tarp.

Anchorage, AK

When I went to college in the early 1960's, I worked for a feed store. They sold a lot of hay to the locals for their horses and cows. One load was not cured properly and almost burnt the place down. My boss just happened to go out to check on something and spotted smoke coming from the hay.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for everyone's input on this. We have had barn fires and last year several bales caught on fire out in a field. You could see it from the highway and had to look twice thinking it was a house fire. To be on the safe side, we will lay a tarp down, set the bales on them and loosely tarp over them. They will be far enough away that if they do go crazy, it will just be the bales that burn. We are just afraid if we wait to find the bales until next spring, we may be out of luck so we wanted to get them early.

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a good plan Connie. 20 bales. You're getting serious about this aren't you? I hope you are getting alfalfa?

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Serious? HA!!! We are hooked lol !! We are going to try half straw and half hay to see which is better for us and it also depends on the prices of the two. We will be trying for alfalfa. Neighborhood is hooked too :) Since Hubby's accident, the Co. now says Hubby doesn't work for them anymore. Whole other issue, but all of the neighbors are wanting to do this which is great. We will now have plenty of time to show them how LOL!

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Glad you are going to do half and half. Good experiment.

So sorry about the job. Was he ready to take early retirement? Now what?

Price will make a difference. Especially now. Let them get straw. LOL. You won't be fertilizing as much with the hay if you get it. Should be a fun year for you next year. Be sure you plant at least one plant of Early Girls. Did you have any of those? I have one that I planted late and it has surpassed all the rest, and bigger tomatoes than normal this year. Somehow I ended up giving all my EGs away so had to plant another for myself.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

25 years, first accident, 20-30% permanent disability, no job LOL Close to retirement but not quite. Definitely need a garden next year :)

You were kind enough to send Heinz, Beefsteak and a cherry tomato. I think there might be a store in the next town that sells them. Are they better than the Heinz? The Heinz has great flavor and very juicy. Should be great for tomato juice!

Connie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wellllllll, you are going to plant more than one tomato plant aren't you? LOL, I will send you some seed next year. You won't need many. Unless you wanted to buy plants next year.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

No, shouldn't need very many. We are saving the seed from the beefsteak and Heinz. Please remember the jalapeno when they become ripe. I should be able to send you yours shortly. More are ripening now.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You must have done a good job on the peppers.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

They are loaded :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So now what are you going to do with all of those Jalapenos?

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Pepper jelly of course (grin) along with some salsa!! YUMMY!!!! Getting next year ALL planned out LOL!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I had some really good bread the other day with jalapenos and cheese baked on top. It sure was good with fresh tomatoes and more cheese of course on it. Braided.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.