2nd try - Sheered off tops of Winter Daphne question

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Forgive the newbie here, but I'm trying to get the photo and the question together.

This winter Daphne bush was sheered off clean as a knife cutting. I was wondering what did it.

Somebody thinks deer... but the deer quit coming so close to the house because of the dogs. I have seen land tortoises around. Would they, could they do this?

Thumbnail by Linny1
Winnetka, IL

It's very unlikely to be deer. They tend to leave messy, chewed up tips. Rabbits leave a very clean edge, but those branches look waay too big for a rabbit to have chopped!

Sinks Grove, WV

Those stems appear to have been cleanly cut as opposed to being chewed. Are there any children in the area that might have played with pruning tools?

children, no, rabbits yes. But whatever did it, also reached over into my camelia and cleanly cut out the middle. Seems that only a deer could have reached that..

...and I forgot to mention the branches look waaaaay bigger in the picture than they are. They are no bigger than a pencil, if that. Could a rabbit eat that size?

Winnetka, IL

An adult rabbit could definitely cut through a pencil. How high up the stem are the cuts?

Maybe it was a rabbit like these? http://sajjadzaidi.com/2007/jan/giant_bunnies_for_breakfast/
( : O

Believe me, it wouldn't take a giant bunny. The branches are lopped off just about bunny head high. But those giants are really funny looking. The Daphne is starting to leaf out again. It was no taller than a full grown bunny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.