question

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

This has lovely large flowers.. lots of them open in full sun here... during mid day..the leaves were so long thin and pointed.. I didn't recognize it ...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

it's as many will know.. ipomoea platensis.. caudiciform MG
the questions ...
does this always bloom through out the day..
can it be crossed with other morning glories.. to increase the open bloom times..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Gordon,

Yes, Ipomoea platensis
I have 3 plants but have them inside my GreenHouse, and they do bloom most of the day.

As far as crossing to another species, I doubt it. But, I'll see what I can find out for you

Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
Mesilla Park, NM

I found this out by trial and error in 2004, you can take cuttings and root them in water, eventually you do get a caudex that starts forming and you have an earlier blooming plant at the end. Very neat.. I don't know if they would root in vermiculite, most likely they would. We moved and I lost all of mine here when we got some frost. They only do well in greenhouses from zone 8 on down in winter, in summer though take them outside, they love dappled shade. You can buy these at several of the cactus garden centers, I got mine at Grigsbys in California. Amazing at what you can get at Cactus gardens.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

they will self pollinate I imagine.. I'll look for more seeds in a bit...

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

I have gotten seeds before with and without self-pollinating.
If you want as many seeds as you can get, I recommend to self-pollinate the blooms
Seeds are slightly hairy at the edges.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

sounds like a cool plant

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love mine, Gordon, it comes in every winter, and goes back out every summer, this year it has climbed the sunflower, the fence the tomatoe cage and is still climbing. I had two seed pods last year, but lost them in the seed spill.. someone got them in a seed mix I sent out. This year I keep seeing seeds, but they are popped open before I get to them, I will be taking cuttings for sure , come fall. It goes to sleep around December, and wakes up in end of Feb down in the basement garden.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Thanks Emma... Debra...
I'll check back on it come fall and see if there's a seed in it for me... there's hundreds of flowers on it now.. climbing a big post about 12 ' tall.. in a mass all around it..... maybe there some seeds working ...

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice plant, Gordon! Pretty pink blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.