How I Label MG Flowers For Seed

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm using Avery Labels - 8167 along with their Design Pro software which is free and my laser printer. The labels are working out really well and don't seem affected by sun or rain, nor do they adversely effect the stem they are attached to.

Here is a link for the free avery software:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-PC.htm?N=4294967076&refchannel=3980ac83ae70a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

Just thought I'd share this since they are working out so well.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

X - The ink doesn't fade in the sun on those labels?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Nope it's laser .. I got the idea when I had pictures of the morning glories I was planting (in color too) and type on a piece of paper that got blown away in the wind in the back yard. I had forgotten about it and discovered it 2 months later and everything was totally readable .. no fading at all. It had been sunbaked, rained on and even hailed on. I was astonished. I keep looking at the first label I attached and see absolutely no difference between it and subsequent ones.

I have an ink jet printer. :-( Probably wouldn't work for me. Great idea you came up with! I really like it!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

No .. wouldn't work with an ink jet.

Yeah ... I kinda figured that! Bummer!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a picture of the very first one. I also put an aluminum label on it just in case but after seeing that the paper labels were not fading or decomposing I quit using the aluminum ones.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

That is really cool, X! I am just using masking tape and pencil lead to mark mine. Pencil doesn't seem to fade either. But I do have to do the writing instead of printing it out from my computer. lol

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The aluminum tags I make last for years because they are literally embossed .. they can be stomped on, buried and even burned and you can still make out what's on there.I use those for plant tags. I tried everything I could before I came up with making tags out of heavy duty aluminum foil. Everything seemed to fade leaving me with "what the heck is this" moments.

The label idea was really nice .. I wouldn't use them as permanent tags, but they seem to do really well for one season. I'll let you know the final results when I start harvesting seeds.

:-) I would be interested to know, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.