Water snakes feeding on fish

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

The creek is drying up, and there were still several fingerlings in the remaining pools after a fish rescue was done. In the past, I've rescued those left behind, but I'm not able any longer. I knew the fish would become meals for other critters as the water diminished. Today I watched as 5-6 water snakes worked one small pool. They were persistant and successful, but always left the water before they began feeding.

In this image there are two snakes, each holding the same fish in their mouth.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Preparing to feed.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Sandusky, OH

Nice captures Tiger!...those may be Garter Snake's but not for sure on that.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This one has a sculpin, which was eaten tail first. The snake was fairly uncomfortable after feeding, and one could see where the sculpins fin was creating the discomfort.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

You can see when the sculpins fin was causing the discomfort.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This snake has a fingerling coho. I thought it odd that they swallow tail first.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

This fingerling had just escaped from one of the snakes. While I was there, the snakes caught and ate nine fish. Later when I checked, the snakes had gone, and one fish remained in the pool.

I'd never seen anything like this feeding before, and while I'd have prefered the fish had survived to spawn, the event was fascinating.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

Great shots of this tiger!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nice capture of the feeding action , Tiger.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Very interesting ....thanks for sharing and great job with the photos!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Fascinating, I have never seen anything like that before and Thank You for sharing it. ...I thought that they ate underwater....

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I have seen garter snakes eat small fish occasionally around here. I have also seen them stalking tadpoles in small pools. I picked up a garter snake one day to show my coworker the interesting markings - not realizing that she was terrified of snakes. Oops.

Sandusky, OH

I can't even say the word "snake" around my mom. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.