Have Cleome lutea seeds

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I have a few trades of Cleome lutea seeds ready now and a few more as the seeds ripen.

These are for wintersowing ONLY! I had way too many complaints last year about the seeds not growing immediately. I planted some of my collected seeds in some bare, compacted clay last fall and now I have a patch of plants four feet tall and covered with blooms. They went through -12° F and many freeze/thaw cycles. They have not received irrigation so they have only had water once in the past three months. This is how they grow in nature.

If you want to grow these I suggest you find some nasty, gray clay soil, mix in some gravel and a bunch of lime, pack it down well and leave it outside all winter. If you want to grow this where the winters are mild you might have to put it in the freezer. Never water them. If you live in a place that gets more than 15" of rain a year, put them under a roof overhang where they will stay dry.

Check out my tradelist if you are interested. I am always open to trades for unusual cold and arid adapted plants. Please be patient when you contact me. My job requires that I travel to remote areas for three or four days at a time in summer and I often do not have internet service available.

Thumbnail by Katlian
(Zone 7a)

There are many many annual seeds that wont germinate without cold treatment. I know exactly what you mean...I'm currently working on seeds of a more rare sunflower that lies dormant also. I have been doing a lot of experimenting and Most of my seeds germinate at 38 degrees...even ones considered tender perennials like Conanthera trimaculata germinated cold.

Here's an old thread on the Cleome http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/891859/

But anyway...I would love to try them. I have seeds from your want list. dmail me if interested

Thanks,
Kim

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I just sent you a dmail.

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd love to try them, check out my list and see of there is anything you want.. thanks Annette

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I would love to have some. Please check my list, maybe we could trade? http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/list.php?list=want&member=maccionoadha

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited Aug 5, 2010 9:01 AM

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I would love to try a few! I have freshly harvested seeds of the following-let me know if you are interested in trading for any of these:
Ibicella lutea
Tinantia erecta
Hibiscus cannabinus, Amethyst
Kniphofia, mixed species
Anagallis arvensis
Hyssopus officianalis, Nectar Blue
Ipomoea obscura
Ipomoea hederifolia var Lutea
Ipomoea turbinata
Petunia axillaris, Rain Master
Nicotiana rustica
Thanks, Alana

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Thanks for your interest everyone, I am headed out of town again but I promise I will dmail everyone on Friday.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I've not had any luck starting those seeds from a few years. If you've had success in area other than Nevada, please give pointers. I don't even know if I have any of those old seeds left.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lili, I have tried many times, also - no luck. I will just keep trying! I hope it's not something to do with our hot and HUMID weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.