North Georgia Plant Swap

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful time we had today at Laurel's. So much good food, And lots made fresh from her garden. Thanks for all the other wonderful food brought by everyone.
Love all those plants I brought home to Lizella! They are out under the trees and getting a very light sprinkle of rain. Need more to bring down these hot temps.
Will post a couple of pics...yawn
Our wonderful hostess and host (Steve)

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Wish I could have been there! Please do post more pics. I did help my friends get moved into their new place but sure did miss getting to meet everyone.

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

I second the thanks to our host and hostess, Maypop and Steve...it was my first RU and surely won't be the last. Great food, great company and great plants. We even had an overcast day to protect us from the extreme heat of the previous week...and a little rain to make the plants grow!
Great success!!!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks to you both for your help with our RU. I'm looking forward to the pics, Elaine. Didn't know you caught me and Steve, but I like the photo of us. Thanks!

Judy, it's going to be your fault if I get fat 'cause you didn't come to help eat the food. I ate one of Suz's s'mores before bkfst. I'm sooo bad.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Good evening.. more pics and please add.

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

another

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

trying to send..

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

good friends

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

another pic

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

ok

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Don't think I got Sally,,, hope she's doing better.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, darn! I was just fixin' to ask someone to post a photo of that Wonder Woman Digger. Hope she's feeling better.

Hi All. Thanks so much for the photos Elaine. Judy, Sally is in the first group
photo in the forefront, right. She is working on quitting smoking (ahem, Sally). Get well soon Sally.

Danita's mom, Rachel, is a photographer. Danita made the incredible cheesecake and Rachel made the yummy, giant spelt bread. Hopefully she took some photos of the RU too. She spent a lot of time shooting the garden and woods walk we went on the next day.

I got a few salvias in last evening. It's drippy and dreary today. I'll have to plant and pick in the rain.The temps are beautiful though.

Dahlonega, GA

Mon morn , much better . Sinus , no cold . I have fits with allergys and tried to keep my distance in case it was a cold .
Man , that Maypop can put on a party can't she ? I had to go back for another bite of some foods that I couldn't define the spice /or herbs . Unusual for me , but everything was so good and the weather was co-operating and my bunch praised the get together . Good to put a face with everyone , I'm in that first post with Patty and Eufaula , looks like I don't have any teeth . Ha Ha.Wish I'd had more time to chat with Patty , she is an amazing person with lots of stories .Didn't get to visit with a coupla the ladies ,and apologize for that , but everyone was so busy trying to cram so much visiting in such a short time .
Thanks to all and Laurel & Steve for a memorable R U

So, to put a few names to faces...Patty is dear DG friend, Jim's (Hawkarica) DW and is sitting next to Sally. Lynn (Eufaula) is sitting across from them. The first guy photo shows Johnny, Sally's (Digger) DH, in red shirt, Ken (kdfisher) in the middle and Mike (mqiq77). The "good friends" photo is Cheryl on the right, landscaper extraordinaire,Tim on the left and Sue (suzmyers) in yellow in the background. Lynn (Eufaula) is seated and Jim (Hawkarica) is examining something at the table. The "ok" photo is Cheryl in foreground and then Suzmyers with Rachel and Danita at the table.

Hope someone got a photo of you, Elaine.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, Thanks so much for the IDs. Gotcha, Digger, you Wonder Woman, you! :-) Hopefully I will be able to meet these people another time. I think I met Mike at Chris's but haven't met any of the others (at least I don't think so). I really wanted some of that Gooseneck Loosestrife, Laural. I'm fighting with DOT about a bank in front of my house that's eroding badly and filling my yard with mud. I'm threatening to plant kudzu. (I wouldn't really do it but it sounds like a good threat.)

It was gawdawful hot here and not a real good day for moving but we got the job done. There were many to help out, thank goodness.

Off to work. Maybe when I'm 80, my boss will let me retire. :-)

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

A few pics...Looks like Digger (right) and Lynn have a suspicious look?

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

The veggie garden...

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

House/yard upon entering...

love that porch out back!

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Side of house looking from veggie garden...

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

The cheesecake goddess...hehe

explaining about some of her plants she brought including three types of perennial salvia. I guess they'll survive the winter, or maybe I wasn't listening?

thanks Danita

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Dahlonega, GA

Ken , that wasn't a suspicious look , that was a pout , begging you to take some more durn pots.
Loved meeting you and talking , thanks for letting me dump all my excess plants on you . LOL .

Ken, thanks for adding the photos. I wish we had more time to chat. Danita gave me my first perennial salvias two years ago. They have survived two winters and get better each year. Cheesecake goddess is the perfect name for her, isn't it?
Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks for naming the folks, Laurel. My taste buds say thanks to all that good food too!!

Elaine

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Good to hear Laurel. Digger, yes. And I was happy to get dumped on.

Butterfly bushes have found a home along with Laurel's Rose of Sharon. Those itty bitty cuttings (ninebark, Juddii Viburnum, ?? Almond) are apparently happy on the porch while getting legs to grow on their own..eventually. I think Mike gave me some some peanut butter bushes/tree? I didn't realize how large they get or so this reference says...link below. I'll have to do more research on those buggers. Shrubbery is something I haven't been doing much of, so it's something new.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/772/

Part of my roundup collection in pic.

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Dahlonega, GA

You told me you bought a cabin in the woods . THAT doesn't look like a cabin .

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Ken, the celrhodendrum tricottomum, some call it glory bower, will get about 15' tall, and spread of at least 10'.
The flowers are very fragrant, and when the seed open, they are more beautiful, than the flowers.The down side, they only last around 20Yrs., but will reseed everywhere.Yes, thats invasive.
Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

We made it back to Atlanta! DH is still alive after a duel over the last piece of Danita's cheesecake. And I don't even normally like sweets.

Thank you all for the compliments on the day and the food. After all guests departed I realized there was lots to do in the garden. I started by tearing out the weedy "natives" and cleaning up the flower/herb beds across from the veggie garden. I got everything planted, including Sally's wigellia from two years ago (embarrassed about that Sally). Thanks to Danita and Elaine for the new and interesting Salvias. I inherited a rooted cutting from Sally labeled "Mystry". Danita agrees with me that it's a Hydrangea. Hope it's as pretty as the one at the back door, also a gift from Sally two years ago. Who brought the Mahonias? I want to thank you. They and the sea mallow from Danita are the only plants I can put outside the gate as they are deer resistant. I trekked down to the pond to plant the sea mallow yesterday.

Sue, what's going to happen when the hoyas displace my orchids? I can't believe I went home with more new hoya varieties than the entire original collection. They will have to learn to live in the house as they are too unwieldy to live with the orchids.

Ken, thanks for the additional photos of Maypop and guests. It does look like you caught Sally and Lynn with their hands in the till, doesn't it? Great photo. BTW, Sally, why is it every time you come to visit me I find piles of pots in or on my shed, yard, decks, etc. You're determined to get rid of them aren't you?

Mike, I'll need to figure out where to put that p.b. tree. It's got a way to go in a pot before I need to worry though. Maybe in Atlanta.

Everyone was so helpful and wonderful. Steve agrees you were a great group and we would be amenable to a RU (almost) anytime. I hope everyone continues to share their garden gifts, talents and knowledge here at DG. I don't know of a better place to do that.
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

I got out of the propagation this year and someone said that you said ,"Anything anyone doesn't want to take back home , just leave it " I was just following orders , I'm so good .
I'm going to hit Craigs list now . Four years ago , you couldn't find small pots , now you can't give them away .They are soooo expensive to buy.
I didn't leave them all, I had six doz more and don't know where all came from , I only left what was on the table. I'm not guilty this time, maybe someone changed their mind and thought your yard was better than the side of the road . LOL Smoochie , sally

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi all,

Laurel, I left the Mahonias for you. They are very good, deer resistant plants and pretty leaves. Guess the thorns hurt their little tongues...
They don't like salvias either. lol
They will reseed around and down the hill.
Sally, I have pots that keep multiplying out back.. did you sneak down here too? lol and my little ninebark and viburnum are smiling.
Mike, I planted all the coleus in a planter and they will be sooo beautiful.
Ken, thanks for pics and I want those stones around the foundation of my house.
Danita, all my babies are happy,, after the little rain we had today.
Suz, those hoyas are in the bag and in the shade for now. I think I will leave them for more roots to form.
Sista girl, Cheryl, get out there and dig in the dirt. It's good for your soul.

Elaine

Hope everyone had a great week and got all their new jewels planted. I did!

Elaine, thanks for the Mahonia babies. I've got some monster ones in Atlanta that we and the cardinals adore. I got all the Salvias from you and Danita in the ground before we left Maypop. Mind you, I was standing in the drizzle, but what great weather to transplant in at this time of year.

Suz, I got all Hoya cuttings potted this past week and boy do they look happy!

Mike, I need to check on Clerodendrum culture. It will probably spend a few years being potted up.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All!

Just wanted to add my very belated "Thanks" to everyone for a fun day! It was great seeing everyone again. The people, place, food and plants were all wonderful! :)

Thanks again Laurel!
Danita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.