Iris Foliage - Is There a Better Way?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Forgive this really basic question, but I'm a newbie with irises . . .

- Can you cut the foliage way down after bloom on siberians? on bearded?
- Are there any irises with foliage that will beautifully outlast its blooms?

The only iris I have is siberian 'Caesars Brother' - the blooms gorgeous for about a week, then on to ugly foliage. So, I have a love/hate relationship with these guys! There must be a better way . . .

Does anyone know that better way and can you share?

Sherri

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Sherri,

I can talk about the siberian irises. Someone else will help you with the bearded.

What don't you like about the siberian foliage? Usually it stays looking good all year, unlike the bearded. Tell me, or show us a picture of what the foliage looks like now, to make sure you don't have some problem.

The foliage on the siberians feeds the rhizomes, so you really should not cut it back until late fall.

Maybe you could put some later blooming plants, like phlox, next to the iris, to draw the eye away, although I must say, your combo with Caesars Bro and the amsonia is lovely.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

personally, I love the leaves.... maybe because I just plain love irises... but I always trim the outside leave if they start to turn brown, so that there are only lovely green sword like leaves....This is a spring-time shot, but I love even the leaves..
Who takes pictures of their irises after the bloom? LOL!

Thumbnail by naomimade
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Personally I like the foliage as it reminds me of one of the nice grasses you can purchase now. It looks lovely centered in the background of your photo and other plantings compliment it as it does them. I would not cut it back, but just let it feed the roots for next year. If there is a lot of brown foliage remove completely from the plant and feed it well.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I probably shouldn't have used that picture - it's from about 4 years ago, when I first got it and now that I look at it, the foliage is pretty!

But, here is a picture from this year. Over 4 years, I've divided and moved the one iris and now have about 5 scattered around. I've turned them into nomads, because I keep moving them, which may be part of the problem! See how bizarre the foliage is? One is standing unnaturally straight up, the other strangely parted in the middle. (I wonder if a basketball from next door got it . . . )

I do llike Naomi's massing of them and her sword like fronds. Maybe I should just pick a spot and leave them alone! Thanks, all!

P.S. I'm a little embarrassed by this picture : ( . . . I'm trying to grow a couple of bronzey leaved ninebark and a gold bayberry into a composition, but this is their awkward first year!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't be embarrassed, that's a,lovely area.

I think the tall one standing up looks fine. I would cut the stalks with the seed pods off the other and see if Mr. floppy doesn't stand up better. You should aways cut the stalks with the seed pods off anyway.

But they do look healthy, and you really shouldn't cut back healthy foliage. Maybe something in front of them that gets a little taller to hide the foliage in back?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

That's an idea - yes, I will cut the pods off and just leave them there and put something in front. Thank you, Polly!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Great!

You're welcome.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Sherrisedenn that's called over-crowding! LOL!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Or maybe she could really overcrowd and prop those little suckers right up, so they wouldn't have anywhere to flop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.