Hoya darwinii

Gainesville, FL

This has become one of my most fave hoyas. I took this cutting off my mama plant and its already doing the rounded cupped leaf thingie!

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Still learning here. What does that leaf cupping mean please?

Gainesville, FL

Its something peculiar to this hoya. You can see it in the above pic. You can also google H. darwinii to learn more about it

noonamah, Australia

A couple of months back I was wandering around where there were lots of Hoya australis ssp rupicola growing. One plant (or group of plants) was developing curled up leaves, but none to the extent of forming balls. Some plants had leaves curling longitudinally, which seemed okay. But this other one seemed to be particuIarly deformed. I took some photos because it looked so unusual. I'll have to try and dig out those photos.

I could see it in your photo. I was wondering what the significance was... not to worry, I will go research.

Apparently not indigenous to H. darwinii only, Tropicbreeze?

Gainesville, FL

They are kinda like ant plants. Ants will live under the cup shaped leaves sometimes

noonamah, Australia

H. darwinii seems to do it in association with ants, a symbiotic relationship. Like some Dischia. But never saw that happening with the H. australis. Maybe an early stage of an evolutionary development? Will have to check back again in a million years or so. ;O)

You got it, give or take a hundred thousand... lol

noonamah, Australia

I'll check my diary to see if I'm free then. ;O)

Decatur, GA

Give this a bump. Anyone know where to get Hoya darwinii? I'd love a cutting. Thanks. Helen

Gainesville, FL

Helen I lost mine over the years and have never seen it for sale again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.