Unknown cultivar but looking for a specific Canna

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have watched a beautiful row of blooming Cannas for 10 years now but when we went to the DRs office this year, it was gone. I would love to find a start of them but in researching have not found the same type.

These were:
dwarf ( about 2 1/2 ft tall)
pure green foliage
brilliant red blooms
delivering blooms all summer long

They looked patriotic and made me happy to see them. Can anyone suggest a cultivar I should search for? I have decided I need a start. LOL

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Were the blooms large or small?

In comparison to the height of the plant, I thought the blooms were faily large but it could have been deceptive. I never stopped to look more closely. Do you have some thoughts on what I should shop for?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

is it in an area where you can access the soil?? sometimes they don't always get all the tubers.

I snagged some plants this way in the median of the road!!!

I wish... it is over 100 miles from home, on a major highway, in front of a business. DH already "knows" I'm loopy. If I got caught molesting the soil he would probably let me sit in out in jail. Think I'd rather make him buy them for me. Mind you, I am not above raiding green stuff. LOL

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

if it's in front of a biz... ASK THEM... ya just never never know!!! If it's county property...call them...without a pic..might be hard to pinpoint.

Thanks for the thought. We just went by it this past Monday and I hope to not go that way for another year if I can help it. Will just spend my spare time shopping for Cannas and getting sidetracked by all other kinds of plants.

Does anyone recommend a good supplier of Cannas? Someone with a wide selection maybe?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

could it have been 'President'?

Thumbnail by Abutilon

That is pretty. The color seemed darker but I know reds can be deceptive. How tall is the 'President'?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

'President' does not get too tall. It is over 2 1/2 ft. though.
But a lot of 'President' was diseased, which made it shorter.

Colour can be different in different climates, seasons, etc.
Or the ones you saw were something else.

'Tropical Red' comes to mind, also. Those are shorter than 'President', also with a large bloom.
But a lot of those carried disease, even from seed, and not seen much now.

Another one to research ~ thank you. And that might explain why they disappeared. I will check the Tropical red out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.