Newfield, NY

can somebody tell if it alright to plant a iris that was cut down the middle?that is how i got if from a ebay order.

Newfield, NY

here a picture of it?

Thumbnail by doridunn
Kansas City, MO

I am no expert like some of the others on here. It looks viable to me in that it appears the merging rhizome is intact with roots. I think it is the "mother" rhizome that appears cut and that shouldn't be a problem. I notice where all the roots appear to be shooting from and I would just plant that baby asap and wait. Damage is done, if at all, so get it in the soil.

K

Newfield, NY

thank's irisawe.do you trade your iris?like your have list.

Thumbnail by doridunn
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I wondered about cutting the rhizome in half to divide a clump. Especially a crowded one with lots of little rhizomes along the side, rather than cutting each rhizome off. I doubt that it hurts anything as long as the rhizome is firm and dipped in bleach.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dee can answer this, I bet. She showed us before how she cuts into the median ones to divide them.

Lebanon, OR

Yes, it is not going to do any damage, I and others cut the mother many times as an anchor since she will never bloom, only produce more babies.

Plant and enjoy

D

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

What are the strange looking blotches in the cuts. Appears to be holes where something has eaten thru. The leaf on the right does not look healthy. I would keep this baby in a pot until next year to see if it is diseased.

South Hamilton, MA

It could be the remains of a tunnel. Scoop it out if you want. If no rot or no bug in it there should not be a problem.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

yes.. and the roots look good.. not all dried up and shriveled..

Lebanon, OR

What you might want to do because you do not know if they did it or not. I treat all iris that leave here with 10-90 bleach water soak...

D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.