I'm A Lazy Quilter!!!!.... or not?

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Below is one of forty quarter log cabin blocks that I finished last night for matching queen sized quilts for my two nephews. They are 17 and 15 and a half years old (the boys, not the blocks). The older is just becoming an Eagle Scout, the younger is on his way (hence the center square), their family has a lake cabin where bears are often seen (the bear strips) and I live in Florida (the sea turtles). I plan on using the light blue fabric in the blocks (sort of cave drawings) as 1 1/2" (unfinished) sashing between blocks and will be using the bears and fireworks as borders. The blocks are about 16 1/2 " unfinished and will be oriented in sets of 4 with the centers pointing together which gives a really neat large block appearance, two in the upper half and two in the lower half. The fifth row (center quilt) zig-zags the blocks. I did it on a full sized that I have pinned and am waiting to quilt, and it has a neat look. The nephews' Qs will be long-armed at a LQS.

This got me to thinking..... I like working with simple squares and strips. I like patterns, but, as with these quilts, I also like to take parts of patterns and make my own arrangements as well. I enjoy the Eleanor Burns' chain-sewing method and will use this on some patterns that call for seperate piecing (why would I want to seperate piece when you can assembly line - which comes out more uniform for me?) I don't plan on doing paper piecing or applique. I do my cutting, sewing and quilting while at the kitchen table watching TV in the family room. My patterns, such as Turning Twenty that I start next and the quilts I've pictured on other threads, are great beginner patterns. I've done flying geese, the pieced stained glass quit,etc. and will challenge myself with a few more involved patterns. But, I find the simple patterns and the no patterns, like some of the recent scrap quilt ideas on threads, relaxing.

So, I'm a lazy quilter, I guess. Don't judge me (LOL)...... everyone has a reason for doing what they do in quilting and mine is to decompress. So I guess that y'all will have to put up with simpler blocks if I ever join any swaps.

Thumbnail by FLStu
This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!