tomatoes in USVI

Red Hook, Virgin Islands (USA)

tomatoes in St. Thomas? I'm a container gardener new to St. Thomas--trying to grow tomatoes from seed--getting tomatoes with lots of flowers (June July) but no fruit?? Any thoughts?
RN

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

I have noticed that the fruits don't seem to set if the temps are hot. We have most of our tomatoes during the cooler months - maybe it's the same for you in the VI.

noonamah, Australia

Don't know what your climate is there but in the hotter tropics tomatoes are a definite winter crop.

Keaau, HI

Depends on the climate.

Where Jenn lives in Kihei, it is hot & dry all year, especially in the Summer.

Here in windward Hawai'i tomatoes grow best in Summer where it gets drier than the rest of the year.
In other months it is too cool & wet for tomatoes, unless they are in a greenhouse.

What is your climate like in the Virgin Islands?

Aloha, Dave

christiansted, St. C, Virgin Islands (USA)

hi, i'm writing from your sister island st croix. our department of agriculture raises vegetable seedlings suitable for our tropical growing conditions. they sell them for about 15 cents each. i'm not that familiar with st thomas but i've heard that your dept of agriculture is located across from bryans nursery. you can look in the green government section of your phone book under virgin islands department of agriculture for a contact number. i've lived here for 35 years and have found both the local and federal agriculture departments staff to be informed and helpful. of course there might be another reason your tomatos are not fruiting but the variety would be a good place to start. happy gardening, cordially, mark ferdschneider, plants4peace@gmail.com

Vieques, PR

From the next island West of you, folks have tried for years here to grow tomatoes hydroponically, but I've never tasted one and presume it just didn't work.

I've also been told the plants get devoured by pests and (if they set) the fruit is relentlessly attacked by birds.

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I had one struggling plant this fall and finally threw it in the compost. It was constantly under attack by white flies, I sprayed it with soap every day, plus the blooms never produced fruit. It was in a pot and I still couldn't make it work. I may try again if I can find a plant instead of trying it from seed. It's not easy.

Clarence, NY

Randell, try contacting Brian McCullough on STX. He has a hydroponic farm which produces superb Boston bib lettuce and tomatoes, all hydroponic. Next to him is Joyce who grows tomotoes. If you email me, I will give him your number. As you know, STX is more agricultural and residential than St. Thomas. Or, you may easily reach him through the Off the Wall restaurant at Cane Bay which his brother owns. I am sure he can help you. I'm sure you know the restaurant's listed in your phone book. He will give you direct info, for sure.

Remember, we are not Hawaii. I seriously doubt they can help. Call Craig.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2011 2:37 AM

This message was edited Mar 22, 2011 2:40 AM

Goodness, such a spaced out thread!

In the USVI, tomatoes are a winter crop. Start seeds in late September, early October.

They refuse to set fruit after April or May because the nights are too hot. They cannot pollinate. I recommend Sweet Million, a cherry tomato but incerdibly prolific. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Melissa (about to say bye bye because my subscription is over in two days)

noonamah, Australia

It's the same here, best bet is Cherry Tomatoes and grown during the dry (winter) season. They're okay to plant towards the end of the wet season but they'll only produce during the dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.